UK: Apparel reinforcing position as key retail category
Clothing and footwear has reinforced its position in town centres
The presence of clothing and footwear stores on the UK high street is growing, according to a new study, reinforcing their position as a key retail category.
A report by The University of Southampton: ‘High Street Performance and Evolution', shows that clothing and footwear has reinforced its position in town centres, increasing sales from 20.5% in 2007 to 25.4% in 2013.
In addition, in the non-food sector, the report reveals that independent retailers are increasing in number relative to corporates (+2% and -5.2% respectively between 2011-2013). Indeed, the British Independent Retail Association (BIRA) reported in April that seven out of ten independent retailers were confident in the trading year ahead of them, the highest level since the recession.
Around 56% of BIRA members reported higher sales for the first three months of 2014 than in the matching quarter of 2013. Businesses including clothing and footwear stores have all reported growth.
The research also forecasts that the continuing rise of online retailing will be good for the high street, with 70% of consumers expected to prefer using click & collect services.
The growth of this service is pushing people back to stores, suggesting that town centres can be supported by online commerce.
Click here to view the full report.
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- Esquel backs Chinese Sea Island cotton production
- Cheap polyester contributes to cotton import shift
- Under Armour defends questions over strategy
- H&M and Primark price rivalry reaches equilibrium
- Southeast Asia – a strategic sourcing review
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- Ethiopia textile and apparel exports lagging
- Hanesbrands Q4 performance “disappoints”
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024