UK: Apparel reinforcing position as key retail category
Clothing and footwear has reinforced its position in town centres
The presence of clothing and footwear stores on the UK high street is growing, according to a new study, reinforcing their position as a key retail category.
A report by The University of Southampton: ‘High Street Performance and Evolution', shows that clothing and footwear has reinforced its position in town centres, increasing sales from 20.5% in 2007 to 25.4% in 2013.
In addition, in the non-food sector, the report reveals that independent retailers are increasing in number relative to corporates (+2% and -5.2% respectively between 2011-2013). Indeed, the British Independent Retail Association (BIRA) reported in April that seven out of ten independent retailers were confident in the trading year ahead of them, the highest level since the recession.
Around 56% of BIRA members reported higher sales for the first three months of 2014 than in the matching quarter of 2013. Businesses including clothing and footwear stores have all reported growth.
The research also forecasts that the continuing rise of online retailing will be good for the high street, with 70% of consumers expected to prefer using click & collect services.
The growth of this service is pushing people back to stores, suggesting that town centres can be supported by online commerce.
Click here to view the full report.
- India's labour law reforms edge a step closer
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- Alliance and Accord urged to harmonise efforts
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- Under Armour "resonating strongly" with consumers
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- Ultrasonic execs disappear along with company cash
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details