USA: ARAMARK Secures $6m In Tax Refunds
ARAMARK Uniform Services (AUS), a provider of uniform and career apparel, petitioned the State of Washington to refund more than $6m to their Washington State customers. AUS began talks with the Washington State Department of Revenue (DOR) in May 1999 to review the tax rules applying to laundry services. Upon completion of the review it was determined that laundry services performed in Oregon were not subject to Washington sales tax and a refund was in order. ARAMARK assembled a team of accountants, legal, and information technology personnel to begin the enormous task of reviewing more than 1.8 million invoices processed between December 1994 and June 1999. After determining the refund amount ARAMARK worked closely with the DOR to verify the refund amount and file the appropriate claim. Refund checks totaling more than $6m were distributed on November 6, 2000, to more than 5,100 ARAMARK customers. In addition to the principal amount, interest will also be given. By filing the petition so early, ARAMARK Uniform Services customers will receive tax and interest for a full year more than would have otherwise been available. The refund is for 100 per cent of the sales tax plus interest calculated on an annual basis for 1995 through 1999 less a small fee to cover costs incurred by ARAMARK in its filing of the petition and its efforts to secure the refund. ARAMARK Uniform Services is a leading supplier of uniforms and career apparel, providing rental, purchase and lease programs to over 1.5 million people at more than 450,000 businesses. ARAMARK Corporation is a $7.2bn world leader in providing managed services - food and support services, uniform and career apparel, and childcare and early education programs. ARAMARK Corporation has over 160,000 employees serving 15 million people at 500,000 locations in 15 countries. For more information on ARAMARK Uniform Services visit
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020