USA: ARAMARK Secures $6m In Tax Refunds
ARAMARK Uniform Services (AUS), a provider of uniform and career apparel, petitioned the State of Washington to refund more than $6m to their Washington State customers. AUS began talks with the Washington State Department of Revenue (DOR) in May 1999 to review the tax rules applying to laundry services. Upon completion of the review it was determined that laundry services performed in Oregon were not subject to Washington sales tax and a refund was in order. ARAMARK assembled a team of accountants, legal, and information technology personnel to begin the enormous task of reviewing more than 1.8 million invoices processed between December 1994 and June 1999. After determining the refund amount ARAMARK worked closely with the DOR to verify the refund amount and file the appropriate claim. Refund checks totaling more than $6m were distributed on November 6, 2000, to more than 5,100 ARAMARK customers. In addition to the principal amount, interest will also be given. By filing the petition so early, ARAMARK Uniform Services customers will receive tax and interest for a full year more than would have otherwise been available. The refund is for 100 per cent of the sales tax plus interest calculated on an annual basis for 1995 through 1999 less a small fee to cover costs incurred by ARAMARK in its filing of the petition and its efforts to secure the refund. ARAMARK Uniform Services is a leading supplier of uniforms and career apparel, providing rental, purchase and lease programs to over 1.5 million people at more than 450,000 businesses. ARAMARK Corporation is a $7.2bn world leader in providing managed services - food and support services, uniform and career apparel, and childcare and early education programs. ARAMARK Corporation has over 160,000 employees serving 15 million people at 500,000 locations in 15 countries. For more information on ARAMARK Uniform Services visit
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- JC Penney latest retailer to shutter stores?
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022