UK: Arcadia Boss Eyes M&S Buyout
Green, whose empire takes in the Arcadia fashion group and Bhs department stores, said on Thursday he would approach the M&S board within the next few days.
"Any proposal would involve a mixture of cash and shares in a new company which would seek a listing," a statement from Green family subsidiary Revival Acquisitions said.
In an interview with the Daily Express newspaper this week, Green said he had the skills to turn around what he labelled "a great British institution" that had lost its way.
"Their women's wear is poor, they have an old supply chain and their speed of delivery to market is poor," he told the paper's Friday edition.
"We can put this all right."
It is not the first time Green has expressed interested in buying M&S.
In 1999, he appointed financial advisers to consider a bid but withdrew his interest a few months later.
Shares in M&S, the UK's biggest apparel retailer, surged as much as 24 per cent before closing at 360 pence - their highest level since November 2002 - on news of the proposed acquisition.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Shares bought in retail group Arcadia by Jon Asgeir Johannesson, chief executive of Icelandic retailer Baugur, are being probed in a fraud case started by Icelandic police....
Wang Shenyang, Chairman of China Chamber of Commerce for Imports and Exports of Textiles, said that Pakistan and China need to work with each other to boost the development of textiles trade....
Luxury goods giant Hugo Boss AG plans to grow sales from its Boss Woman unit by approximately 30 per cent to almost €90 million this year, chief executive officer Bruno Saelzer told German magazine Eu...
Italian clothing and textiles group Marzotto does not plan any "extraordinary operations" for the Hugo Boss brand, Reuters quoted chairman Antonio Favrin as saying....
Luxury goods company Hugo Boss AG is planning to grow its shoes and accessories divisions over the coming years in order to capitalise on growing sales in those sectors, Financial Times Deutschland qu...
Leading high street retailer Bhs has invested in apparel design software from Tex-Data in its new design studios....
Fashion and textiles group Marzotto SpA said first-quarter 2005 sales and profits grew on good performances at its Hugo Boss and Valentino clothing units....
Clothing chain Jaeger's chairman, Harold Tillman, has salvaged department store Allders' name with the purchase of its flagship store in Croydon, UK....
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Investment continues in Ethiopia clothing sector
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts