UK: Arcadia closes in on India launch
A company spokesperson could not confirm the details of the move, but admitted that an announcement was likely in the near future.
"It's a market that Topshop is interested in," she told just-style.
"We are looking there, but as yet the contract hasn't been signed and nothing has been confirmed."
According to India's Business Standard newspaper, Arcadia is entering into a franchise agreement with Trent, the retail arm of India's Tata Group, and is awaiting government approval before announcing the deal.
About 15 Topshop and Topman stores will open in the next three years, the reports suggest, including two stores each in Mumbai and northern India by the end of this fiscal year.
Arcadia Group owner Sir Philip Green has made no secret of the company's international ambitions, unveiling a new flagship store in New York in April.
He has also pledged to increase Arcadia's international trading space by 126,000sq ft this year, expanding its international store roster from 447 to 505.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Even though consumers are increasingly aware of ethical fashions, they are still reluctant to spend more money on products that have been sustainably sourced, according to industry executives in Sri L...
A passionate, thought-provoking and stimulating discussion on consumer demand for sustainable fashion kicked off Sri Lanka's first Ethical Fashion Symposium. The event taking place in Colombo this wee...
Today brought the much-anticipated announcement of who would replace Marks and Spencer (M&S) boss Sir Stuart Rose, with Marc Bolland to become the retailer's new CEO....
The roll-out of high-speed broadband, a social networking frenzy and high-tech mobile devices have all served to bolster online fashion retailing in recent years. Joe Ayling lists some of the top deve...
Sri Lanka is gearing up to hold its first annual Design Festival at the end of this month in a bid to put the country on the map as a source of design as well as a manufacturing destination....
Here is a roundup of the top five most-read stories on just-style. Click on each headline for the full story....
The owner of UK retailer Arcadia Group is to take his popular Topshop chain to France, Italy and China, after a successful launch in New York....
Such is the pedigree of retail fashion mogul Sir Philip Green that another solid set of full-year results for his Arcadia group comes as no surprise to the industry....
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Primark challenges critics with cotton initiative
- Li & Fung dropped from Hang Seng Index
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- Vietnam apparel exports miss 2016 target
- Trump talks of tweaking NAFTA trade with Canada
- H&M leads Better Cotton league
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022