UK: Arcadia FY profits up 25% despite flat sales
- FY pre-tax underlying profit up 25% to GBP166.9m
- Sales fractionally down at GBP2.679bn
- Total like-for-like sales down 0.7%
Fashion retail group Arcadia overcame “very challenging conditions” in the UK and around the world to deliver full-year, pre-tax profits before exceptional items up 25% on last year.
Total sales were predominantly flat, but underlying UK retail like-for-likes fell 3.2% and total like-for-likes declined by 0.7%.
However, e-commerce sales were up 22% and the company highlighted its continued international expansion, underlined by its current total of 615 franchised outlets operating in 39 countries.
Arcadia owner Sir Philip Green said new stores in Sao Paulo and Vancouver had recorded strong opening performances, adding: “It is our intention to continue to drive expansion strongly in both our USA-owned stores and in our international online business in the year ahead.”
Trading conditions remained challenging, he said, announcing that Arcadia had recorded like-for-like sales up 0.7% in the first 10 weeks of the new trading year, with positive margins.
More than 220 companies have now signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Dhaka, which killed more than 1,100 people in ...
Burma's garment industry has huge potential to contribute to national economic growth, both as a foreign exchange earner and a massive job provider. However, in order to achieve its full potential, th...
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack