UK: Arcadia losses lead to 3,500 job cuts
The shake-up on the British high street continues with the announcement by struggling retail group Arcadia that it is to sell its Principles for Men chain and cut 3,500 jobs after plunging into loss. Arcadia, the UK's second largest retailing group, today posted annual results that showed a pre-tax pre-exceptional loss of £8.6 million at the half-year stage compared with a profit of £26.3 million a year ago.The current price deflation across the UK's middle market is said to have contributed to the fall in Arcadia's revenues, whilst Principles for Men has also fallen victim to the rapidly growing trend towards dressed down casualwear. The chain currently trades through a total of 80 standalone shops and about 70 franchises in Arcadia outlets and Debenhams department stores. Principles' shops for women will remain open.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Speed to market key to Adidas 2020 growth plan
- SOURCING: Production problems weigh on Pakistan
- SuperGroup to adapt sourcing model for speed
- Cutting-edge companies focus on consumer needs
- What next for smart fabrics and garments?
- Lululemon Athletica on “strong growth” track
- Swedish textile water project to expand globally
- PVH “pleased” after swinging to Q4 profit
- Organic cotton assessment tool launches
- Apparel and textiles rank high on EU alert system
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019