UK: Arcadia losses lead to 3,500 job cuts
The shake-up on the British high street continues with the announcement by struggling retail group Arcadia that it is to sell its Principles for Men chain and cut 3,500 jobs after plunging into loss. Arcadia, the UK's second largest retailing group, today posted annual results that showed a pre-tax pre-exceptional loss of £8.6 million at the half-year stage compared with a profit of £26.3 million a year ago.The current price deflation across the UK's middle market is said to have contributed to the fall in Arcadia's revenues, whilst Principles for Men has also fallen victim to the rapidly growing trend towards dressed down casualwear. The chain currently trades through a total of 80 standalone shops and about 70 franchises in Arcadia outlets and Debenhams department stores. Principles' shops for women will remain open.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- US Q3 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, HanesBrands
- Primark sourcing chief Gordon steps down
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report