US: Ascena Retail doubles Q2 earnings
- Net earnings surged 96% to $42.5m from $21.7m
- Net sales rose 27% to $752.2m from $594.1m
- Comparable store sales increased 9%
Ascena Retail Group Inc, formerly known as The Dress Barn, has raised its full-year earnings guidance after nearly doubling its second quarter profit.
Performance in the three months to 29 January was mainly due to a 52.8% hike in sales at its Justice stores, which target tween girls. By division, Dressbarn sales increased 1% to $211.6m and Maurices rose 24% to $202.8m.
"I am very pleased with our overall business performance and our ability to identify the right merchandise, plan assortments effectively, conduct compelling marketing activities and develop increased loyalty from our customers," said president and CEO David R Jaffe.
"As we move into the second half of our fiscal year, we are focused on continuing to deliver value to our customers, on sustaining our improvements in margin and on building a shared infrastructure platform to support each of our brands."
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- Gap audits reveal compliance issues in Myanmar
- Water scarcity a challenge to cotton supply chains
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- ANALYSIS: Back-to-school spending a waiting game
- Adidas to use only Bluesign-approved chemicals
- Scientists hail first recycled cotton garment
- Accord and Alliance discord "a setback"
- Weak traffic slows sales for Abercrombie & Fitch
- Myanmar and US to develop labour rights initiative
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report