US: Ascena Retail Q1 profit slips 1%
- Q1 net income slipped 1% to $47.5m
- Sales rose 8% to $768.3m
- Comparable-store sales were up 4%
Ascena Retail Group has recorded a 1% drop in first quarter profit as one-off costs offset higher sales during the period.
The retailer, which operates the Dressbarn, Maurices and Justice brands, said net income slipped to $47.5m in the three months to 29 October, down from $48m in the same period last year.
Net sales, however, rose 8% to $768.3m, thanks to higher same-store sales, new store growth at Justice and Maurices, and strong e-commerce sales. Comparable-store sales were up 4%.
"While the retail environment remained challenging, our consumers reacted favourably to compelling assortments at each of our brands and to a targeted marketing and promotional strategy that communicated our value proposition very effectively, which kept our inventory at proper levels," said president and CEO David Jaffe.
"As we move into our second quarter, we remain comfortable that we will achieve our plan for the year. We also remain excited by a wide range of opportunities to drive growth in our business, value to our consumers, and returns to our shareholders."
A buoyant second quarter of trading, with profits up 50%, prompted women's wear retailer Ascena Retail Group to increase its full-year projected earnings....
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Brexit Trade Focus – How a CANZ-UK FTA stacks up
- Will Brexit trigger rise in UK manufacturing?
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- EU and US dispute China raw materials duties
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape