US: Ascena Retail Q1 profit slips 1%
- Q1 net income slipped 1% to $47.5m
- Sales rose 8% to $768.3m
- Comparable-store sales were up 4%
Ascena Retail Group has recorded a 1% drop in first quarter profit as one-off costs offset higher sales during the period.
The retailer, which operates the Dressbarn, Maurices and Justice brands, said net income slipped to $47.5m in the three months to 29 October, down from $48m in the same period last year.
Net sales, however, rose 8% to $768.3m, thanks to higher same-store sales, new store growth at Justice and Maurices, and strong e-commerce sales. Comparable-store sales were up 4%.
"While the retail environment remained challenging, our consumers reacted favourably to compelling assortments at each of our brands and to a targeted marketing and promotional strategy that communicated our value proposition very effectively, which kept our inventory at proper levels," said president and CEO David Jaffe.
"As we move into our second quarter, we remain comfortable that we will achieve our plan for the year. We also remain excited by a wide range of opportunities to drive growth in our business, value to our consumers, and returns to our shareholders."
A buoyant second quarter of trading, with profits up 50%, prompted women's wear retailer Ascena Retail Group to increase its full-year projected earnings....
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Brexit and the apparel industry – what lies ahead?
- Big data helps Crystal Group sustainability gains
- Brexit uncertainty over pending EU trade deals
- Under Armour opens manufacturing innovation hub
- Walmart's 'Made in USA' pledge misleading
- Uniqlo said to be scaling back US expansion
- Online fabric platform to "revolutionise" buying
- Better Work Vietnam launches labour law mobile app
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Denmark
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts