UK: Asda appoints new chief operating officer
UK supermarket giant Asda has announced that Simon King will join the business as its new chief operating officer in January 2011.
He will largely take up the brief vacated by Andy Clarke who succeeded Andy Bond in May as president and CEO of Asda, which operates the George clothing line and is owned by Wal-Mart.
King is currently the chief executive of supermarket and hypermarket operator Panda Retail, a subsidiary of The Savola Group based in Saudi Arabia.
Until 2009 he was CEO of Tesco Kipa in Turkey and has retail experience with both Tesco and Safeway.
“I’m thrilled to welcome Simon to Asda,” said Andy Clarke. “In his career, he’s demonstrated his talents as both a strategic leader and a day-to-day operator in large complex retail businesses. I know he shares a commitment to people and delivering for customers. I’m looking forward to the contribution I know he’ll make here at Asda.”
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Ethical behaviour, sustainable and eco-friendly production are laudable goals - but in all too many cases they play second fiddle to rising sales and profit. In a world where cheap talk usually replac...
In their quest for low labour rates and low garment costs, apparel firms are increasingly coming up against a range of problems on the talent front, from a lack of skilled workers to poorly motivated ...
Vietnam's leading textile and apparel manufacturer Thanh Cong Textile Garment (TCM) has more than doubled its first quarter profit thanks to strong yarn and clothing exports....
Wal-Mart Stores has lined up plans to expand its network in Chile, the US retail giant has confirmed. ...
Philip Clarke, the new CEO of Tesco, today (19 April) said the retailer "can do better" in the UK after the country's largest retailer posted flat annual sales in its domestic market - adding that imp...
Wal-Mart Stores has agreed to buy Kosmix, a social media start-up focused on e-commerce, as it looks for new ways to tap into customers via social networking sites and smartphones....
Taking a look at the week ahead for the footwear and apparel industry, here is a snapshot of just-style's latest news and insights agenda. ...
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Outlook 2017 – What else is the industry watching?
- Outlook 2017 – Strategies for sourcing success
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- Outlook 2017 – Challenges and opportunities
- M&S quality focus finally lifts clothing sales
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Sri Lanka on track to regain EU GSP+ benefits
- 22 dos and dont's – When sourcing goes wrong
- Aéropostale to reopen 500 stores across the US
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar