UK: Asda confident after "very tough" Christmas
UK retailer Asda has reported "a good performance" during what it described as a "very tough" Christmas trading period.
Asda today (6 January) provided a brief update, although without a like-for-like sales number, on how it traded.
The UK arm of Wal-Mart said its "simple, every-day low-price strategy" led to "record footfall" at its stores, while other retailers started promotions early.
"This was a very tough December for retailers with price conscious customers leaving it later than ever before to buy presents and do their big Christmas food shop," Asda president and CEO Andy Clarke said.
"While some retailers hit the panic button early, at Asda we held our nerve and stuck with our simple strategy of no gimmicks, just every day low prices right across the store and online. It meant that customers trusted us to deliver not only on price, but also quality and good honest value. This translated into record footfall, both in store and online."
Asda noted 23 December was its "biggest-ever trading day" with 4.8m customers shopping with the retailer. On each of the previous two days, Asda's grocery home shopping site ran up GBP5m (US$8.2m) in sales for the first time.
Asda will report its trading figures for the fourth quarter on 20 February.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Discount retailer Lidl has pledged to eliminate all hazardous chemicals from its textile production by 1 January, 2020 - a move that has been welcomed by environmental pressure group Greenpeace....
US apparel business Perry Ellis International has entered into a licensing deal with Delta Galil Industries for the design and distribution of its Ben Hogan socks....
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report