UK: Asda confident after "very tough" Christmas
UK retailer Asda has reported "a good performance" during what it described as a "very tough" Christmas trading period.
Asda today (6 January) provided a brief update, although without a like-for-like sales number, on how it traded.
The UK arm of Wal-Mart said its "simple, every-day low-price strategy" led to "record footfall" at its stores, while other retailers started promotions early.
"This was a very tough December for retailers with price conscious customers leaving it later than ever before to buy presents and do their big Christmas food shop," Asda president and CEO Andy Clarke said.
"While some retailers hit the panic button early, at Asda we held our nerve and stuck with our simple strategy of no gimmicks, just every day low prices right across the store and online. It meant that customers trusted us to deliver not only on price, but also quality and good honest value. This translated into record footfall, both in store and online."
Asda noted 23 December was its "biggest-ever trading day" with 4.8m customers shopping with the retailer. On each of the previous two days, Asda's grocery home shopping site ran up GBP5m (US$8.2m) in sales for the first time.
Asda will report its trading figures for the fourth quarter on 20 February.
Asda Stores Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offe...
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity unde...
In 2008, the US-based multinational company Wal-Mart Stores acquired the Chilean hypermarket, supermarket and retail company D&S, which already owned more than 250 stores across the country. Every yea...
Wal-Mart de México SAB de CV is the leading and most influential chained grocery retailer in Mexico. The company’s strategy is based on offering a wide range of products at affordable prices. Conseque...
- SOURCING: Production problems weigh on Pakistan
- Cutting-edge companies focus on consumer needs
- Speed to market key to Adidas 2020 growth plan
- Rana Plaza fund call grows as anniversary nears
- What next for smart fabrics and garments?
- Major Ethiopia textile build experiences delays
- RFID adoption among retailers near “tipping point”
- Swedish textile water project to expand globally
- PVH “pleased” after swinging to Q4 profit
- Organic cotton assessment tool launches
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019