UK: Asda confident after "very tough" Christmas
UK retailer Asda has reported "a good performance" during what it described as a "very tough" Christmas trading period.
Asda today (6 January) provided a brief update, although without a like-for-like sales number, on how it traded.
The UK arm of Wal-Mart said its "simple, every-day low-price strategy" led to "record footfall" at its stores, while other retailers started promotions early.
"This was a very tough December for retailers with price conscious customers leaving it later than ever before to buy presents and do their big Christmas food shop," Asda president and CEO Andy Clarke said.
"While some retailers hit the panic button early, at Asda we held our nerve and stuck with our simple strategy of no gimmicks, just every day low prices right across the store and online. It meant that customers trusted us to deliver not only on price, but also quality and good honest value. This translated into record footfall, both in store and online."
Asda noted 23 December was its "biggest-ever trading day" with 4.8m customers shopping with the retailer. On each of the previous two days, Asda's grocery home shopping site ran up GBP5m (US$8.2m) in sales for the first time.
Asda will report its trading figures for the fourth quarter on 20 February.
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity unde...
Food and drink internet retailing posted outstanding growth in 2012 and 2013. Working females in urban centres with a busy lifestyle find it convenient and time saving to purchase groceries online. It...
Global Online Retail industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also contains descrip...
Online Retail in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also co...
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- Euro decline weighs on Turkish clothing industry
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- Will Amazon take over the US apparel market?
- US groups seek workable apparel provisions in TPP
- Metallised thread for "revolutionary" RFID tag
- Manufacturing in China falls to 15-month low
- VF Corp ups guidance on "strong" Q2
- Under Armour secures Germany and Austria deals
- Millennials "changing the game" for hosiery
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020