UK: Asda reveals George clothing continues to do well
Asda said the George brand continues to perform well
Supermarket retailer Asda has said its George clothing brand continues to perform well as it revealed an increase in group like-for-like sales.
The UK arm of Wal-Mart Stores this week said sales grew 0.5% on a like-for-like basis in the ten weeks ended 30 June. In "continuing challenging trading conditions", the retailer said it also managed to increase its market share year-on-year by 14 bps.
Speaking at a briefing in London, CEO Andy Clarke said the structural changes in the retail market continue to present "tough challenges", but said Asda had been quick to recognise those taking place in the UK market and in November set out a five-year strategy to redefine value retailing.
In non-food, Asda said the George brand continues to perform well and is now the second largest clothing brand in the UK in terms of sales volume. The retailer has continued to explore new ways to extend the brand in the past 12 months has launched George Home range, which has delivered double-digit growth in the quarter.
Clarke said Asda is also making "good progress" on its ambition to lead online, with market share having increased to 18.4%.
Asda opened three superstores and two supermarkets during the quarter. Five new sites were also acquired from the Co-op. Clarke confirmed it will continue to innovate its existing space and plans to roll out 86 remodels and 87 refurbishment projects across its estate in 2015.
"I am pleased with our performance in the quarter and our business has shown that it is well positioned to meet the demands of a challenging market," Clarke said. "However, I've been in this business for too long to measure success by quarters and we remain on a long term journey."
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity unde...
For the 2015/2016 fiscal year, Wal-Mart’s key strategic goals include the expansion of its outlet network and the enhancement of its digital retail capabilities. In terms of outlet expansion, the comp...
Apparel accessories continue to be considered a great way for consumers to complete an outfit and increase of other garments, which helped the category to generate healthy current value growth of 5% i...
Baby clothing refers to clothing for infants and toddlers aged between 0 to 36 months. It includes apparel such as outerwear, innerwear, nightwear, socks, and tights designed for babies. The clothes a...
- The difference between compliance and safety?
- Central America must make better use of DR-CAFTA
- How M&S plans to revamp its clothing business
- Yarn-forward rules weigh on Vietnam TPP potential
- Is China really going through a slump?
- US Q1 in brief – Guess, Burlington Stores, Sears
- Gap accused of rights violations in supply chain
- BHS supplier Courtaulds Brands in administration
- Nike management changes to drive innovation
- Social responsibility key to winning millennials
- Victoria's Secret Stores, Inc.: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel Accessories in Hong Kong, China
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)
- Practical Price Negotiation for Apparel Sourcing Professionals