UK: Asda rounds off year with Q4 sales fall
- Q4 sales drop 0.1%
- UK operating income down 1.5%
Asda saw comparable sales drop 0.1%
Asda ended its 2013 financial year with a fall in underlying sales in the fourth quarter.
In the 13 weeks to the 3 January, Asda saw comparable sales drop 0.1%, underling the retailer's worsening sales performance as it moved throughout the year.
For its third quarter, like-for-like sales were up 0.3%. In the second quarter, LFLs were up 0.7%; in the first quarter, they increased 1.3%.
Over the year as a whole, Asda's comparable sales inched up 0.5%.
Asda parent Wal-Mart, which also issued its fourth-quarter and annual results today, said its UK arm saw its operating income fall 1.5% in the quarter thanks to "expense headwinds".
Wal-Mart cited "indirect taxation, employment costs and investments in e-commerce".
Asda CEO Andy Clarke said: "It will come as no surprise that 2013 was a tough year for UK retailers and there's little doubt that the UK retail market is undergoing significant and permanent structural change."
However, Clarke said Asda had moved to "redefine value retailing in the UK" and pointed to its announcement in November it would spend GBP1bn on lowering prices in a bid to "widen the gap" with its big three rivals, Tesco, Sainsbury's and Morrisons.
The offensive on price was one of a set of "strategic priorities" for the next five years.
Asda plans to spend GBP250m on "quality, style and design" across its product portfolio and expand further in parts of the UK where its market share is low, particularly London and the South East. It also plans more investment online, with a target of 1,000 click-and-collect points in the next five years.
More than 180 companies have now signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Dhaka, which killed more than 1,100 people las...
Asda Stores Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offe...
Tesco Corporation - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offeri...
ASDA Stores Limited - Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides a comprehensive insight into the company’s history, corporate strategy, business structure and operations. The report contains a detailed ...
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity unde...
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Outdoor industry's future must be more inclusive
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Responsible apparel sourcing requires teamwork
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- H&M and The North Face commit to responsible down
- UPDATE: A&F appoints Horowitz to head Hollister
- Bangladesh taps factory inspectors ahead of review
- Coats to open new zip factory in Bangladesh
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam