UK: Asda's George First To Adopt Disability Scheme
George has set the standard for other leading retailers to follow with the announcement that 16 of its stores have gained awear store accreditation for disability access and service in a pioneering nationwide scheme.George is the first major clothes retailer to become involved in the awear Accreditation Scheme, which aims to ensure that fashionable clothes are fully and directly accessible to disabled people. In the pioneering pilot project, seven awear inspectors assessed stores between last December and April, and following consultation with management from George on specific details, have now awarded the 16 stores awear accreditation status. awear Clothing Forum Development Officer, Julian Wing, said: "The pilot project has not just been a learning process for the retailer but also a very valuable procedure for awear and a significant progression in the new accreditation scheme. Asda stores were ideal for the pilot project because they are usually based out of town, are new and spacious and employ full time staff who can be trained to welcome disabled customers. The next step now is to target other major clothes retailers in the UK so that further positive partnerships can be achieved."Head of marketing at George, Amanda Gavan, explained: "Promoting the awear Accreditation Scheme in the George stores has potential in raising sales and brand awareness."For more information about the awear Accreditation Scheme visit the website
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- US Q4 in brief – Chico's FAS, TJX Companies
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- $136m funding for Made in NY garment-making hub
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar