UK: Ashley to become executive chairman at Sports Direct?
Sporting Goods retailer Sports Direct may appoint founder Mike Ashley to the position of executive chairman, it has been reported.
Ashley, who is currently the company's deputy chairman, make take on the role amid efforts to find a non-executive deputy to work alongside him, The Financial Times newspaper reported.
Sports Direct, set to announce its interim results tomorrow, has kept its cards close close to its chest regarding any possible appointments though. A Sports Direct spokesperson said the company was not commenting today (18 December), when contacted by just-style.
The company has, also today, sold its Original Shoe Company chain to JJB Sports for GBP5m (US$10.1m) in cash, and is reportedly in the midst of negotiating the sale of its stake in Umbro to Nike, as part of a wider takeover.
Sports Direct currently holds a 29.9% stake in Umbro - enough to block the takeover - while UK rival retailer JJB Sports has a 10% stake in the football brand, which Nike is looking to acquire through a GBP285m all-cash deal.
Despite all the hype about digital printing over the last few years, just 2% of the world's printed fabric is produced using this method. One of the reasons for this slow uptake is that digital printi...
The choice between fight and flight is taking on a new meaning in the sporting goods sector. Brands are soaring by exploiting new opportunities in emerging markets, while a subsequent fight for remain...
UK retailer JJB Sports has bought the loss-making Qube footwear store chain for the nominal fee of GBP1 (US$1.98)....
Here is a roundup of the top five most-read stories on just-style this week. Click on each headline for the full story....
Sporting goods retailer JJB Sports said revenue for the 13 weeks to 27 April 2008 was 8.3% lower than the same period last year, in a retail environment described as challenging....
JJB Sports has refused to comment on a press report it is lining up a bid for loss-making footwear chain Qube....
UK trade union GMB is drawing up legal claims for its members affected by JJB Sport's decision to close 72 stores and axe 800 jobs, but JJB refuses to be drawn into a feud....
UK sportswear retailer JJB Sports is to close 72 of its stores after reporting a 71.9% slump in annual pre-tax profit....
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- US Q3 in brief - Under Armour, VF Corp, Skechers
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020