TAIWAN: Asian Competition Puts Brakes On Taiwan's Textile Exports
Taiwan exported US$1.46bn worth of textile products in July, up 8.1 per cent on year, far slower than July's 36.5 per cent growth for all exports, according to the Ministry of Finance. Growth in textile exports has slowed due mainly to fiercer price competition from China and Southeast Asian countries, said Tsai Jin-shy, a director at the federation. Taiwan's textile exports were up 13 per cent in the first half of the year. The federation is a government-supported organization authorised by the Ministry of Economic Affairs to oversee and negotiate Taiwan's textile export quotas with trading partners. It also helps companies in research and development and product promotion overseas. "Mainland China and Southeast Asia cut prices in July," said Tsai. He added that the weakness in Southeast Asian currencies also put Taiwan textile products at a disadvantage. Taiwan imported US$234.4m of textile products in July, down 5.8 per cent on-year, compared with July's 41.9 per cent growth in total imports, according to the Ministry of Finance. Tsai said he needed more information to help explain the decline, but added it might be attributed to the slowdown in exports, which could in turn contribute to decline in imports of yarns and fibres.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- 3D CAD comes of age
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- Big data to help US firms improve clothing fit
- Levi Strauss and ILO probe Cambodia factory death
- US Q4 in brief – G-III Apparel, Finish Line
- Labour rights risk Bangladesh EU trade benefits?
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack