JAPAN: Asics creates shoes for Japanese astronaut
Asics of Japan has a created prototype space shoe for a Japanese astronaut with the tell-tale split-toe style beloved of Japanese ninjas, real-life construction workers and hipsters.
The blue and white sports-like shoe, which was first shown at Japan's 56th international space conference earlier this year, has been designed with zero gravity in mind to help astronauts get a better grip while moving around in such conditions.
A pair of the 'tabi' split-toe shoes will be presented to Japanese astronaut Takao Doi, who will join a US space shuttle mission in late 2007.
"In an environment of no gravity, human muscles become atrophied and astronauts need to train themselves on machines," said Takehiro Tagawa, who developed the far-out footwear.
The shoes will help counteract this problem. The first samples, with a soft heel and flexible sole, weigh only 130 grams (4.6 ounces) each and incline slightly upward toward the toes.
Tabi shoes and boots with their distinctive split toe are used regularly by construction workers in Japan. The style has now caught on with fashionistas around the world.
By Michael Fitzpatrick
Sportswear maker Asics Corp is to launch a sales push into South America through a new sales company in Brazil....
Sports goods label Asics America Corporation has filed a lawsuit against Payless Shoesource for trademark infringement, unfair competition, trademark dilution and false advertising....
As top sportswear brands prepare to showcase their wares at this year's FIFA World Cup in Germany, companies like Nike, Adidas, Puma and Asics have been criticised by Oxfam International for not doing...
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- Mexico makers bullish on Trump's proposed tariffs
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Crystal expands empowerment project to male staff
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack