UK: Asos Christmas retail sales in 38% surge
- Revenues up 37% to GBP342.6m in four months to 31 December
- Total retail sales up 38% to GBP335.7m
- UK retail sales up 37% to GBP133.7m
Online fashion retailer Asos reported another robust sales surge in the last four months of 2013, with UK retail sales rises matching international revenue growth.
While UK retail sales were up 37%, international revenues grew by 38%, thanks to growth of 28% in the US, 69% in the EU and 19% in the rest of the world.
Retail gross margins were up by about 90 basis points on last year, and Asos had 7.9m active customers at 31 December, up 41%.
“We have enjoyed another strong Christmas and made a good start to the financial year,” said Nick Robertson, company CEO.
“Work on significantly increasing the capacity of our Barnsley site continues, and we plan to open our central European distribution centre later this year.
“The business continues to trade in line with expectations.”
Liz Faulkner, retail consultant at analyst Conlumino, said of the results: “Despite many retailers finding the Christmas 2013 trading period tough, this impressive trading shows Asos has no signs of faltering.
“The ability to achieve such market-beating growth is not solely down to Asos’s position as an online juggernaut.
“Rather, it is a clear global perspective married with an astute understanding of its target market, supported by continued investment, which sees Asos leap from strength to strength.”
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- Bangladesh industry development moving backwards
- Mexico's shoe makers blame their woes on China
- Adidas China supplier in discussions over strike
- Bangladesh PM asks clothing buyers to pay more
- Jones CEO to depart as Sycamore splits business
- Gap issues mirror widespread industry challenges
- Workers strike at Adidas supplier shoe factory
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Jeans in Italy
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects