UK: Asos Christmas retail sales in 38% surge
- Revenues up 37% to GBP342.6m in four months to 31 December
- Total retail sales up 38% to GBP335.7m
- UK retail sales up 37% to GBP133.7m
Online fashion retailer Asos reported another robust sales surge in the last four months of 2013, with UK retail sales rises matching international revenue growth.
While UK retail sales were up 37%, international revenues grew by 38%, thanks to growth of 28% in the US, 69% in the EU and 19% in the rest of the world.
Retail gross margins were up by about 90 basis points on last year, and Asos had 7.9m active customers at 31 December, up 41%.
“We have enjoyed another strong Christmas and made a good start to the financial year,” said Nick Robertson, company CEO.
“Work on significantly increasing the capacity of our Barnsley site continues, and we plan to open our central European distribution centre later this year.
“The business continues to trade in line with expectations.”
Liz Faulkner, retail consultant at analyst Conlumino, said of the results: “Despite many retailers finding the Christmas 2013 trading period tough, this impressive trading shows Asos has no signs of faltering.
“The ability to achieve such market-beating growth is not solely down to Asos’s position as an online juggernaut.
“Rather, it is a clear global perspective married with an astute understanding of its target market, supported by continued investment, which sees Asos leap from strength to strength.”
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- Sir Philip Green blamed for the collapse of BHS
- Brexit blow to global apparel industry confidence
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Brexit Trade Focus – How a CANZ-UK FTA stacks up
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Vietnam mulls wage freeze to boost competitiveness
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- Teijin launches polyester hook-and-loop fastener
- US Q2 in brief - Carter's, Wolverine Worldwide
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Southeast Asia & Central America strategic sourcing reviews package deal
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis