UK: Asos H1 growth driven by international demand
- H1 underlying pre-tax profit up 66% to GBP11.6m
- Sales up 56% to GBP217.3m
- International revenues up 150% to GBP122.2m
Global online fashion retailer Asos saw underlying profit jump over the first-half, with strong international growth offsetting weaker UK sales.
The company today (3 November) reported that underlying pre-tax profit rose 66% to GBP11.6m (US$18.5m) on the back of a 56% increase in sales to reach GBP217.3m.
International revenues jumped 150% to GBP122.2m while UK sales growth slowed to 8% to reach GBP88.6m. UK sales were up 25% over the previous financial year.
International sales increased their share of the business, now representing 58% of the total, up from 37% last year. Over the half, Asos launched country specific sites in Australia, Italy and Spain.
The company said that retail margin improved by 170 bps and gross margin rose 10 bps on the previous year.
"With our continued rapid and profitable international expansion, we remain confident of achieving full year results in line with market expectations," said CEO Nick Robertson.
Recent talk about high street brands and retailers shifting some of their manufacturing back to the UK requires long-term collaboration with local factories. Petah Marian looks at one such partnership...
In the second of a two-part series, Euromonitor International analyst Bettina Kurnik identifies the appeal of offshore e-tailers over their Australian counterparts, and reviews the way forward for loc...
Highlights from just-style's research store this week include a report on world textile and apparel trade and production trends, a look at the luxury and accessories market in China, and the clothing ...
Online fashion retailer Asos Plc today (26 April) said it was "pleased" with a 33% jump in fourth quarter revenue and that full-year profit is set to be in line with expectations - although analysts g...
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- UK reshoring hub hit by sweatshop claims
- New fibre and fabric innovations for outdoor wear
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- COMMENT: Skills or new technology?
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- US West Coast port contract reached
- 30% of Adidas cotton from sustainable sources
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- Benetton to embark on living wage roadmap
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide