UK: Asos share price soars on Q3 trading update
Asos saw its share price jump today (19 January) as it reported a rise in third-quarter revenue, driven by the online clothing retailer's international division.
The retailer said that consolidated retail sales increased 46% to GBP146.5m (US$226.4m) for the quarter ended 31 December. Its shares rose on the news, up 13.9% to 1,700p a share at 11:46 GMT today.
International sales grew 93% to GBP84.5m, with US sales rising 146% to GBP13m, EU sales increasing 33% to GBP32.4m and sales in the rest of the world up 179% to GBP38.9m. International sales accounted for some 58% of the total, while retail gross margins increased 300bps on the prior year period.
The retailer recorded 10% sales growth for the UK, up to GBP56.3m - a significant rise on the 1% sales growth it recorded in the UK during the second-quarter.
"With the business continuing to perform well through these challenging economic times, we remain confident about the outlook and expect our full year results to be in line with market expectations," said CEO Nick Robertson.
Singer Capital analyst Matthew McEachran described the trading update as "excellent", highlighting that UK growth has "bounced back" and that gross margin was up.
"This ought to help sentiment and means they will deliver FY expectations as hoped. The global opportunity remains enormous and, with the exception of slower growth in Europe, they appear to be tapping into this successfully," he said.
Like a vast, slow-moving and rather unwieldy tanker, battered and lashed by stormy seas, the UK's largest clothing retailer Marks & Spencer has done much over the past decade to try to steady its busi...
Asos today recorded a 93% jump in pre-tax profit to reach GBP30.3m for the year ended 31 March. Revenue increased 46% to GBP494.9m. Here is a flavour of what leading retail analysts said about Asos' r...
In the second of a two-part series, Euromonitor International analyst Bettina Kurnik identifies the appeal of offshore e-tailers over their Australian counterparts, and reviews the way forward for loc...
Highlights from just-style's research store this week include a report on world textile and apparel trade and production trends, a look at the luxury and accessories market in China, and the clothing ...
Online fashion retailer Asos has posted a jump in first-quarter sales driven by strong revenues in the US and Australia, and an "encouraging" performance in the UK....
Marks & Spencer has declined to comment on reports that Kate Bostock, its executive director of general merchandise, is set to leave the company....
Online clothing retailer Asos has reported a jump in full-year profits as the company saw sales boosted by stellar international growth. ...
- The current state of play in world garment exports
- Fung Capital helps PLM firm expand into Asia
- Africa courts clothing and textile investment
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Bangladesh Accord calls on firms for more funding
- Adidas investigating Cambodia faintings
- Footwear “facing increased compliance challenges"
- Matalan defends its position on Bangladesh
- Arrests made at US REI/North Face protests
- North Face commits to 100% recycled polyester
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report