USA: Associations Call For Trade Policy Overhaul
Four major US trade associations, involved in importing textiles and apparel into the US, have appealed to the government for a revamp of its current trade policies to take into account the up and coming changes in the country's textile industry. In a joint letter to the US Trade Representative and the Secretaries of State for Commerce, Labour and the Treasury, the American Apparel and Footwear Association, the International Mass Retailers Association, the National retail Federation and the US Association of Importers of Textiles and Apparel, said: "For some 30 years US textile policy has been guided by an executive order drafted for an era when there were more than twice the number of US textile and apparel manufacturing jobs and the apparel market was less than one-thirtieth of the size it is today. The result is that America does not have a current textile and apparel trade policy."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Sales at US clothing retailers jumped in January
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- US Q4 in brief – VF Corp, Kate Spade, Rocky Brands
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar