CHINA: Auction Will Check Rising Cotton Prices
China's National Cotton Trade Market announced that about 200,000 tons of cotton reserves would be auctioned at the beginning of October in an attempt to check rising prices, Asia Pulse reported today. Experts warned cotton growers not to anticipate extraordinarily high prices and store their produce. Although China's cotton production was expected to fall short of demand this year, the Government would use its huge cotton stocks to balance supply and demand, said Zhu Lanfen, director of the Enterprise Reform Department of the State Textile Industry Bureau. Insiders estimate China has about two million tons of cotton in stock. China produced 3.1 million tons of cotton yarn in the first half of this year, up 16.8 per cent year-on-year. A national cotton conference hosted by the All-China Federation of Supply and Marketing Co-operatives in August decided that a suitable cotton price would be around 8,600 yuan (about $1.036) per ton. The price is higher than last year's suggested cotton price of the co-operative at 7,600 yuan (about $US915.70), and also about 10 per cent higher than last year's actual purchasing price at about 7,800 yuan (about $939.80) per ton.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- How to ensure sustainability is more than a slogan
- Software for financial planning and operations
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- US Q3 in brief – Oxford Industries, Genesco
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- Myanmar garment industry "lacking labour rights"
- Adidas NYC flagship raises the bar on sport stores
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack