UK: August retail sales flat amid gloomy view
Retail sales in the UK during August were flat, according to the CBI’s latest Distributive Trades Survey, but business sentiment deteriorated sharply.
According to the survey, 27% of retailers reported an increase in sales volumes during August, and 31% a fall, compared to last year – broadly in line with their expectations.
Twelve of the 13 retail sub-sectors recorded a slowing in growth compared to last year, with only footwear and leather bucking the trend, the CBI added.
However, retailers said they expected sales to rise slightly during September compared to last year, and to be slightly ahead of seasonal norms.
But many expect the business situation to worsen over the next three months, with sentiment weakening more than at any time since February 2009.
“Although this summer’s events created a mood of celebration across the nation, these figures would suggest this positivity did not extend to the high street,” said Judith McKenna, chair of the CBI Distributive Trades Panel and COO of supermarket Asda.
The UK-based George at Asda clothing brand remains committed to sourcing in Bangladesh, even though at least 112 workers were killed in a factory fire last year while illegally subcontracted to produc...
Sales growth at UK clothing retailers in January was at its lowest level since last August, according to figures released today (24 January) by the Confederation of British Industry (CBI)....
UK retailer Sainsbury's has dismissed reports its chief executive Justin King could step down from his role in February....
Year-on-year sales growth at UK clothing retailers picked up in the first two weeks of December, according to figures released today (19 December) by the Confederation of British Industry (CBI)....
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- Gap impressed with supply chain improvements
- More licensing and less M&A for Global Brands
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Cambodia garment industry hit with fresh strikes
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report