UK: August retail sales flat amid gloomy view
Retail sales in the UK during August were flat, according to the CBI’s latest Distributive Trades Survey, but business sentiment deteriorated sharply.
According to the survey, 27% of retailers reported an increase in sales volumes during August, and 31% a fall, compared to last year – broadly in line with their expectations.
Twelve of the 13 retail sub-sectors recorded a slowing in growth compared to last year, with only footwear and leather bucking the trend, the CBI added.
However, retailers said they expected sales to rise slightly during September compared to last year, and to be slightly ahead of seasonal norms.
But many expect the business situation to worsen over the next three months, with sentiment weakening more than at any time since February 2009.
“Although this summer’s events created a mood of celebration across the nation, these figures would suggest this positivity did not extend to the high street,” said Judith McKenna, chair of the CBI Distributive Trades Panel and COO of supermarket Asda.
The UK-based George at Asda clothing brand remains committed to sourcing in Bangladesh, even though at least 112 workers were killed in a factory fire last year while illegally subcontracted to produc...
Sales growth at UK clothing retailers in January was at its lowest level since last August, according to figures released today (24 January) by the Confederation of British Industry (CBI)....
UK retailer Sainsbury's has dismissed reports its chief executive Justin King could step down from his role in February....
Year-on-year sales growth at UK clothing retailers picked up in the first two weeks of December, according to figures released today (19 December) by the Confederation of British Industry (CBI)....
- Euro decline weighs on Turkish clothing industry
- Supply chain mapping using the Bitcoin blockchain
- Mexico makers see rise in exports and local demand
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- Asian union development and the Western response
- UK retailers to answer over human trafficking
- LF Corp to streamline planning and sourcing
- New dye-sublimation printers for sportswear
- Clothing a top category for mass personalisation
- Exports of lower cotton content denim treble
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects