UK: August retail sales flat amid gloomy view
Retail sales in the UK during August were flat, according to the CBI’s latest Distributive Trades Survey, but business sentiment deteriorated sharply.
According to the survey, 27% of retailers reported an increase in sales volumes during August, and 31% a fall, compared to last year – broadly in line with their expectations.
Twelve of the 13 retail sub-sectors recorded a slowing in growth compared to last year, with only footwear and leather bucking the trend, the CBI added.
However, retailers said they expected sales to rise slightly during September compared to last year, and to be slightly ahead of seasonal norms.
But many expect the business situation to worsen over the next three months, with sentiment weakening more than at any time since February 2009.
“Although this summer’s events created a mood of celebration across the nation, these figures would suggest this positivity did not extend to the high street,” said Judith McKenna, chair of the CBI Distributive Trades Panel and COO of supermarket Asda.
The UK-based George at Asda clothing brand remains committed to sourcing in Bangladesh, even though at least 112 workers were killed in a factory fire last year while illegally subcontracted to produc...
Sales growth at UK clothing retailers in January was at its lowest level since last August, according to figures released today (24 January) by the Confederation of British Industry (CBI)....
UK retailer Sainsbury's has dismissed reports its chief executive Justin King could step down from his role in February....
Year-on-year sales growth at UK clothing retailers picked up in the first two weeks of December, according to figures released today (19 December) by the Confederation of British Industry (CBI)....
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- Alliance brands "staying the course" in Bangladesh
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Bangladesh denied US GSP re-entry on worker rights
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis