UK: August retail sales flat amid gloomy view
Retail sales in the UK during August were flat, according to the CBI’s latest Distributive Trades Survey, but business sentiment deteriorated sharply.
According to the survey, 27% of retailers reported an increase in sales volumes during August, and 31% a fall, compared to last year – broadly in line with their expectations.
Twelve of the 13 retail sub-sectors recorded a slowing in growth compared to last year, with only footwear and leather bucking the trend, the CBI added.
However, retailers said they expected sales to rise slightly during September compared to last year, and to be slightly ahead of seasonal norms.
But many expect the business situation to worsen over the next three months, with sentiment weakening more than at any time since February 2009.
“Although this summer’s events created a mood of celebration across the nation, these figures would suggest this positivity did not extend to the high street,” said Judith McKenna, chair of the CBI Distributive Trades Panel and COO of supermarket Asda.
The UK-based George at Asda clothing brand remains committed to sourcing in Bangladesh, even though at least 112 workers were killed in a factory fire last year while illegally subcontracted to produc...
Sales growth at UK clothing retailers in January was at its lowest level since last August, according to figures released today (24 January) by the Confederation of British Industry (CBI)....
UK retailer Sainsbury's has dismissed reports its chief executive Justin King could step down from his role in February....
Year-on-year sales growth at UK clothing retailers picked up in the first two weeks of December, according to figures released today (19 December) by the Confederation of British Industry (CBI)....
- Why TPP implementation is far from a done deal
- Common themes unite Inditex and H&M supply chains
- US apparel retailers' September 2015 sales roundup
- TPP: now the real fight starts
- Comment: TPP winners and losers
- Cambodia sets new minimum wage at US$140
- Change at Banana Republic as Gap sales fall
- Unions discuss strike action over Cambodia wage
- Under Armour to open SEAMS Conference
- M&S edit highlights ethically sourced fashion
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton SA (MC) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review