CAMBODIA: Bail denied to 21 workers after wage struggles
Labour rights groups have vowed to continue to fight for the release of 21 Cambodian workers detained since the beginning of January, after a court hearing today (11 February) refused to grant them bail.
The men belong to the group of 23 arrested early last month amid wage strikes by garment workers, and have been held in the CC3 jail, located in the Kampong Cham province north of the Cambodian capital Phnom Penh.
On Saturday (8 February), two of the group were released on bail prior to today's hearing.
Activists at Clean Clothes Campaign have expressed their "dismay" and "bitter disappointment" at the ruling.
"We call on the Cambodian government to immediately release the 21 men and drop all charges against all 23, and resume good faith wage negotiations," said Emma Harbour of Clean Clothes Campaign. "A wage you can live on, which was at the heart of the protests, is a right everyone deserves."
Campaigners across the world showed solidarity with the 21 detained men on Monday (10 January) with actions outside Cambodian Embassies in Seoul, Brussels, Geneva, Washington DC, Hong Kong, Berlin and Dhaka on a global day of solidarity with Cambodian workers.
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- Gap audits reveal compliance issues in Myanmar
- Water scarcity a challenge to cotton supply chains
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- Adidas to use only Bluesign-approved chemicals
- Accord and Alliance discord "a setback"
- 'Cotton of the Carolinas' grows reshoring efforts
- Myanmar and US to develop labour rights initiative
- China and India sign MoU to explore textile ties
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report