JAPAN: Bail Out Fund Demands Better Deal From Sogo
Japan's bank bailout fund has asked failed retailer Sogo to revise its recovery plan so it can repay more of its 1.87 trillion yen ($17bn) debt and reduce the burden on taxpayers, according to Bloomberg. Last month, the department store operator proposed a 10-year rehabilitation plan, saying it would repay just 93.3bn yen (869m), or about five per cent of its debt, close almost half its stores and fire about one third of its employees. The government's Deposit Insurance Corp, which will buy some of the Sogo loans, asked it to consider developing a longer-range plan that would allow it to repay more debt, said Hiroshi Saito, a spokesman for the agency. The request suggests creditors may reject the plan by Sogo, which is still operating under court supervision.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Ethiopia violence undermines sourcing strategies
- Marks & Spencer top for modern slavery reporting
- Bangladesh garment workers rally for higher wages
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- H&M CEO named sustainability leader
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020