US: Bakers Footwear Q3 loss widens to $10.2m
- Q3 net loss widened to $10.2m from $8.9m
- Net sales fell 1% to $40.2m from $40.6m
- Comparable store sales increased 1.0%
Retailer Bakers Footwear Group Inc has posted "disappointing" third quarter results after losses widened as sales of dress boots sales slumped.
The company, which operates 234 stores, is now launching a "$10m margin improvement and cost reduction programme" in a bid to improve its cash flow and liquidity.
"Our third quarter results were disappointing reflecting a challenging dress boot season, which led to increased markdowns and operating losses compared to the prior year," said chairman and CEO Peter Edison. "On a positive note, our multi-channel sales remained strong, rising 37.4% in the quarter."
He also said exclusive products like the Bakers, H by Halston and Wild Pair brands are attracting new customers to the stores.
That said, "difficult" boot sales have led to a 5.5% drop in same-store sales for the first six weeks of the fourth quarter. "We expect comparable sales to be down for the entire fourth quarter," Edison noted.
Bakers Footwear Group returned to profitability during its fourth-quarter, despite booking a wider full-year loss. ...
Footwear chain Payless ShoeSource has appointed Michele Bergerac as senior vice president and general merchandise manager of its women's and accessories collections....
- Alliance and Accord urged to harmonise efforts
- India's labour law reforms edge a step closer
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- Under Armour "resonating strongly" with consumers
- Apparel is third-largest re-shored US sector
- Ultrasonic execs disappear along with company cash
- Trial cotton subsidy scheme underway in China
- China dye-maker to shut after desert pollution
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Clothing Manufacturers (Global) - Industry Report