CHINA: Bakers Footwear speeds warehouse lead times
A major rollout of transportation software at its warehouse in Shenzhen has helped US retailer Bakers Footwear Group speed more goods through the facility, the company says.
"The Bakers fall line premieres in the first week of August," explains Charlie Kantz, vice president of logistics/warehousing at St Louis-based Bakers Footwear.
"In order to have the products in the stores on schedule, we had an enormous challenge to reduce lead times in China from a week and a half to just one week.
"After close examination of existing processes, it was established that the most viable way to achieve our goals was to move goods through our Shenzhen facility at a faster rate."
Previously the cartons would have to be double-scanned - once upon receipt of the cargo into the warehouse and again after placing the shipping label on the carton.
Now with the help of IES software, the company says that a shipping label is immediately generated and applied to the carton once the factory bar code is scanned.
"By having the shipping label printed and applied in the Shenzhen warehouse, goods can be immediately routed straight to the delivering carrier's central hubs in the USA," Kantz adds.
This rollout is said to have resulted in a 63% increase in volume and 50% time savings versus the previous year, according to Bakers Footwear, which operates 232 stores.
Speciality retailer Bakers Footwear Group has sold its Wild Pair brand to footwear business Steve Madden for up to US$4m....
Retailer Bakers Footwear Group Inc has posted "disappointing" third quarter results after losses widened as sales of dress boots sales slumped....
- Speed to market key to Adidas 2020 growth plan
- SOURCING: Production problems weigh on Pakistan
- Cutting-edge companies focus on consumer needs
- SuperGroup to adapt sourcing model for speed
- What next for smart fabrics and garments?
- Swedish textile water project to expand globally
- Organic cotton assessment tool launches
- PVH “pleased” after swinging to Q4 profit
- Apparel and textiles rank high on EU alert system
- Lululemon Athletica on “strong growth” track
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019