CHINA: Bakers Footwear speeds warehouse lead times
A major rollout of transportation software at its warehouse in Shenzhen has helped US retailer Bakers Footwear Group speed more goods through the facility, the company says.
"The Bakers fall line premieres in the first week of August," explains Charlie Kantz, vice president of logistics/warehousing at St Louis-based Bakers Footwear.
"In order to have the products in the stores on schedule, we had an enormous challenge to reduce lead times in China from a week and a half to just one week.
"After close examination of existing processes, it was established that the most viable way to achieve our goals was to move goods through our Shenzhen facility at a faster rate."
Previously the cartons would have to be double-scanned - once upon receipt of the cargo into the warehouse and again after placing the shipping label on the carton.
Now with the help of IES software, the company says that a shipping label is immediately generated and applied to the carton once the factory bar code is scanned.
"By having the shipping label printed and applied in the Shenzhen warehouse, goods can be immediately routed straight to the delivering carrier's central hubs in the USA," Kantz adds.
This rollout is said to have resulted in a 63% increase in volume and 50% time savings versus the previous year, according to Bakers Footwear, which operates 232 stores.
Speciality retailer Bakers Footwear Group has sold its Wild Pair brand to footwear business Steve Madden for up to US$4m....
Retailer Bakers Footwear Group Inc has posted "disappointing" third quarter results after losses widened as sales of dress boots sales slumped....
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- Gap impressed with supply chain improvements
- More licensing and less M&A for Global Brands
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- Cambodia's future outsourcing prospects uncertain
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Cambodia garment industry hit with fresh strikes
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report