CHINA: Bakers Footwear speeds warehouse lead times
A major rollout of transportation software at its warehouse in Shenzhen has helped US retailer Bakers Footwear Group speed more goods through the facility, the company says.
"The Bakers fall line premieres in the first week of August," explains Charlie Kantz, vice president of logistics/warehousing at St Louis-based Bakers Footwear.
"In order to have the products in the stores on schedule, we had an enormous challenge to reduce lead times in China from a week and a half to just one week.
"After close examination of existing processes, it was established that the most viable way to achieve our goals was to move goods through our Shenzhen facility at a faster rate."
Previously the cartons would have to be double-scanned - once upon receipt of the cargo into the warehouse and again after placing the shipping label on the carton.
Now with the help of IES software, the company says that a shipping label is immediately generated and applied to the carton once the factory bar code is scanned.
"By having the shipping label printed and applied in the Shenzhen warehouse, goods can be immediately routed straight to the delivering carrier's central hubs in the USA," Kantz adds.
This rollout is said to have resulted in a 63% increase in volume and 50% time savings versus the previous year, according to Bakers Footwear, which operates 232 stores.
Speciality retailer Bakers Footwear Group has sold its Wild Pair brand to footwear business Steve Madden for up to US$4m....
Retailer Bakers Footwear Group Inc has posted "disappointing" third quarter results after losses widened as sales of dress boots sales slumped....
- Alliance and Accord urged to harmonise efforts
- India's labour law reforms edge a step closer
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- Tesco update: What the analysts say
- Under Armour "resonating strongly" with consumers
- Apparel is third-largest re-shored US sector
- Trial cotton subsidy scheme underway in China
- China dye-maker to shut after desert pollution
- Bangladesh urged to tackle ongoing safety issues
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia - ISA Country Report