US: Basketball footwear in 21% sales surge
Sales of basketball footwear rose 21% in the US in the year to April, outstripping athletic footwear market growth of only 4%, according to new research.
Basketball performance footwear recorded a 12% revenue rise to US$1.83bn, while basketball-inspired items moved up 9% to $1.45bn - giving basketball-related footwear a 25% slice of the athletic footwear category, information company the NPD Group said.
“Just one look at the colours, styles, innovation and launches in basketball footwear this year, and you will see the reason for its higher level of growth,” said Marshal Cohen, chief industry analyst at NPD Group.
“The basketball segment is capitalising on brand and star power performance, which is working to its advantage.
“On top of that, all of these features put together add greater appeal and diversify basketball footwear’s place in the market.
“Consumers, whether shoe enthusiasts or not, are drawn to the product launches and styles, which are driving basketball footwear sales today.”
The trend towards the dual sourcing of garments has accelerated since the middle of the last decade....
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack