ICELAND: Baugur Warns On Profits, CEO To Step Down
Icelandic retailer Baugur issued a profit warning on Monday and revealed CEO Tryggvi Jonsson will step down this week and be replaced by owner and chairman Jon Asgeir Johannesson.
The company, whose portfolio includes a supermarket chain in Iceland and Debenhams and TopShop franchises in Sweden and Iceland, said its results would be hit by a revaluation of supplies and restructuring costs.
Baugur, which recently sold its 20 per cent stake in UK fashion giant Arcadia to billionaire retail entrepreneur Philip Green, said it has axed 45 stores and also plans to sell all of its outlets in Florida.
The firm said in a statement: "It is clear that the change in performance will affect the profit of Baugur Group in the present operational year."
It added it expects the restructuring to lift its performance over the next few months and is optimistic of hitting future profit targets.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Speakers at this year's ASBCI conference defined the changing landscape of global sourcing and spelt out sourcing options in new world of open trading. They agreed that branding, product differentiati...
Thai Garment Export Co Ltd is Thailand's largest clothing producer. It turns over an FOB value of US$170 million a year and employs 9,500 people. It is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Hong Kong based...
The UK middle market in clothing could soon cease to exist according to new research. The traditional mass market is being squeezed by value-led retailers on the one hand and smaller fashion multiples...
Retail group Arcadia said it will upgrade its e-commerce platform with a five-year IBM contract....
Struggling fashion chain French connection is at the centre of takeover speculation after Icelandic investor Baugur upped its stake in the business....
Department store chain Debenhams has reported a 123 per cent hike in annual profit and said it is optimistic on future growth....
High-street mogul Philip Green has given himself a record dividend of £1.2 billion after his fashion group Arcadia reported a modest increase in annual profits....
Icelandic retailer Baugur has increased its stake in fashion chain French Connection, which yesterday reported a 68 per cent slump in first-half pretax profit....
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Where next for Corporate Human Rights Benchmark?
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- World Bank commits $57bn to sub-Saharan Africa
- Target unveils "ambitious" store re-design plans
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective