US: Bebe Q3 profit falls 3% but beats consensus
Contemporary women's retailer Bebe Stores' earnings fell in its third quarter, along with its same-store sales and gross margins, but results did manage to exceed consensus estimates.
The firm also issued fourth-quarter guidance below the current analysts' projection.
In the three months ended 7 April, net income fell 2.8% to US$12.9m, or $0.14 a diluted share, from $13.3m, also $0.14, in the prior-year quarter. Anaysts had expected the Brisbane, California-based company to earn $0.13 a share.
Net sales were up 16.2% to $154.4m from $132.8m while same-store sales, as previously noted, fell 0.4%, after the exclusion of an extra week in the current year.
Gross margin fell to 45.3% of sales from 46.9% in the 2006 quarter. The company said that lower than expected sales, higher markdowns and unfavourable occupancy leverage served to reduce margins, which were lifted slightly by lower inventory reserves.
In the fourth quarter, Bebe expected same-store sales to fall in the mid- to low-single digit range and earnings per share to finish between $0.17 and $0.21. The current consensus estimates is $0.25 and the year-ago result was $0.23.
For the first nine months of the year, net income rose 11.1% to $57.6m, or $0.61 a diluted share, from $51.9m, or $0.55. Net sales were up 19.1% to $508.2m from $426.9m.
Bebe currently operates 262 stores, 190 of them under the Bebe banner, 20 as Bebe outlets, 51 under the Bebe Sport nameplate and one as Bebe Accessories store.
By Arnold J Karr.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
The following is a general roundup of apparel and shoe chains' March 2007 sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
First quarter profit at Bebe Stores has fallen 25.4% to $15.4m from $20.4m in the same period last year, with the retailer blaming lower margins for the decline....
Fashion retailer Bebe Stores says it will stop buying products with animal fur from January 2008....
First quarter sales at women's apparel retailer Bebe Stores Inc rose 1.3% to $158.5m, from $156.5m in the same period last year....
Same-store sales at many US clothing and footwear chains are expected to rise for August, it has been reported....
Women's wear retailer Bebe Stores Inc has posted a 10% drop in fourth-quarter profit fell and reduced its outlook for fiscal first quarter....
Bebe Stores has reported a 5.4% decrease in same-store sales for the month of June, having reported a 3.5% increase during the corresponding period last year....
The following is a general roundup of apparel and shoe chains' June 2007 sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Primark challenges critics with cotton initiative
- Li & Fung dropped from Hang Seng Index
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- Vietnam apparel exports miss 2016 target
- Trump talks of tweaking NAFTA trade with Canada
- H&M leads Better Cotton league
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022