US: Bebe Stores swings to Q2 loss
- Company posts Q2 loss of $4.8m
- Sales down 10.9% to $135.5m
- Gross margin slipped to 33.9%
US women's wear retailer Bebe Stores has reported a loss during its second quarter after increased markdowns negatively impacted group sales and margins.
Net loss reached US$4.8m for the quarter to 29 December, compared to a profit of $6.6m the prior year.
Sales declined 10.9% to $135.5m, compared to $152m the same period the year before. Comparable store sales fell 10.5%.
Gross margin slipped to 33.9% against 40.1% the prior year because of increased markdowns coupled with unfavourable occupancy leverage.
The company opened one 2b Bebe store and closed one Bebe store during the quarter.
For the first half, net loss narrowed to $7.4m compared to $8.9m the prior year. Net sales were $252.6m, down 9.2% from $278.3m the year before.
Looking forward, Bebe Stores said it forecasts comparable store sales to be in the negative mid-single digit range. Depending on actual sales and markdowns, the net loss is expected to be in the range of mid-teens per share, it added.
US women's wear retailer Bebe Stores has seen its third-quarter losses widen due to a one-off cost, restructuring expenses, and lower sales. ...
US women's wear retailer Bebe Stores has promoted Liyuan Woo to the role of chief financial officer as part of efforts to streamline its organisational structure....
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- Sustainable fibres, finishes and processes at ITMA
- Freeing up working capital in the supply chain
- Five ways to tackle market and demand volatility
- Uniqlo under fire again for China worker abuses
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- 3D tool uses product data to shake up shopping
- Fast Retailing in deal for laser treated garments
- PETA calls for wool boycott on “gruesome” exposé
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015