CHINA: Belle International warns of tough times ahead
- Net profit for 14 months to 28 February up 1% to RMB5.159bn
- Revenues up 10.1% to RMB43.067bn
- Warns of “weak consumer sentiment” for next two years
Apparel and footwear business Belle International Holdings is warning of a tough two years for the Chinese market, despite a double-digit revenue rise in the 14 months to February.
The company, which has shifted its year-end from 31 December, said footwear revenues were up 5%, while sportswear and apparel rose 19.1%.
The increases, it said, were caused mainly by the consolidation of newly acquired businesses and same store sales growth, but warned that broader macro-economic factors were continuing to impact business.
“With the [Chinese] economy continuing its structural rebalancing and slower growth becoming the new normal, consumer confidence has been low and consumer sentiment weak,” said Belle International, which distributes Nike and Adidas in China.
“The macro-economic outlook for the next two years is not optimistic. The consumer retail market is expected to be under continued pressure due to weak consumer sentiment.”
Sales had also been affected by an unusually warm winter and cold spring, the company said, highlighting rising costs, especially staff-related expenses.
Despite the economic slowdown in Poland, Nike Poland did not suffer a loss of share in the Polish apparel market. Like numerous other operators in the market, the company aims to overcome losses in re...
Adversely affected by the slowdown of domestic economy and shrinking consumption, sportswear players collectively faced increasing challenges in China in 2012. As the leader of sportswear in China, Ni...
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Bangladesh Accord calls on firms for more funding
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- Hanesbrands praises supply chain efficiency
- Source Summit 2014: Quote/unquote
- Wal-Mart US chief resignation little surprise
- Under Armour "bullish" in full-year guidance rise
- Africa courts clothing and textile investment
- Macy’s increases sustainability efforts
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges