CHINA: Belle International warns of tough times ahead
- Net profit for 14 months to 28 February up 1% to RMB5.159bn
- Revenues up 10.1% to RMB43.067bn
- Warns of “weak consumer sentiment” for next two years
Apparel and footwear business Belle International Holdings is warning of a tough two years for the Chinese market, despite a double-digit revenue rise in the 14 months to February.
The company, which has shifted its year-end from 31 December, said footwear revenues were up 5%, while sportswear and apparel rose 19.1%.
The increases, it said, were caused mainly by the consolidation of newly acquired businesses and same store sales growth, but warned that broader macro-economic factors were continuing to impact business.
“With the [Chinese] economy continuing its structural rebalancing and slower growth becoming the new normal, consumer confidence has been low and consumer sentiment weak,” said Belle International, which distributes Nike and Adidas in China.
“The macro-economic outlook for the next two years is not optimistic. The consumer retail market is expected to be under continued pressure due to weak consumer sentiment.”
Sales had also been affected by an unusually warm winter and cold spring, the company said, highlighting rising costs, especially staff-related expenses.
In his take on the key apparel industry issues to watch in 2015, David Birnbaum homes in on the problems facing those brands who have set their sights on developing markets in China and Russia; and a ...
NIKE, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings ......
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Nike believes that footwear manufactured using its Flyknit fabric, which was initially launched in 2012, will be one of its growth drivers going forward. Initially launched in running footwear, Nike h...
Nike is expected to maintain its position as the most important sports brand in Chile. Nike de Chile’s strategy is to continue organising sports events – such as “Nike 10K” or “Nike 300K” – aimed at i...
- Expensive US dollar hitting H&M sourcing costs
- Enthusiasm for tech in outdoor apparel on rise
- 2015: Welcome to the new fashion consumer
- Apparel industry gains traction says IAF chief
- Outlook 2015: What's happening with sourcing?
- Kanati pulls production out of Pakistan
- Gap to close Piperlime division
- Hanesbrands invests $1.5m in US hosiery plant
- US takes final step to WTO TFA implementation
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead