ITALY: Benetton 9-month profit falls on higher input costs
Clothing company United Colors of Benetton saw net income fall over the first nine-months of the year, after being hurt by sales declines in Europe and rising input costs.
The Italian manufacturer and retailer today (14 November) said net income was down to EUR60m for the first nine months of the year, from EUR85m in the same period last year. Operating profit fell to EUR645m from EUR696m due to higher raw material prices, particularly cotton and wool.
Sales were down 0.5% to EUR1.5bn.
The company said the results were in spite of extensive efforts to accelerate growth in markets where there are "promising opportunities" - mainly in emerging markets. It had also tried to defend its market share in established markets where the economic crisis has dampened consumer expenditure.
Franco Furnò,CEO with responsibility for commercial, product and human resources, said the company has been working to strengthen its communication, marketing and merchandising.
He added that recent successes include dedicated collections for Asiatic countries, which are "particularly auspicious for continued growth in those markets".
High-end Italian clothier Ermenegildo Zegna and fashion retailer Benetton Group SpA have both bought shares in luxury fashion firm Brunello Cucinelli SpA, which this week completed an initial public o...
Benetton's 'Nitex' clothing factory in the southern Serbian city of Nis is set to employ 2,000 workers by the end of 2013, rising to 2,700 once its renovation is fully completed the following year....
Italian fashion firm Benetton Group SpA has blamed higher raw material costs and a slowdown in consumer spending in the Mediterranean area for a 28.4% drop in full-year profit....
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- Teen retail being rocked by fast fashion headwinds
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- US retailers' March 2014 sales roundup
- Bangladesh industry development moving backwards
- H&M "pushing the process" on sustainable fashion
- Adidas plans mobile phone hotline at all suppliers
- Gap issues mirror widespread industry challenges
- VF Corp eyes speed to market with China hub
- Declining sales push Coldwater Creek to bankruptcy
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Jeans in Italy
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects