ITALY: Benetton family makes EUR276.6m takeover bid
Edizione Srl, the investment firm controlled by the Benetton family, has made a EUR276.6m (US$364.4m) bid to buy all the shares it doesn't already own in Benetton Group SpA and delist the clothing company.
The offer of EUR4.6 (US$6) per share, is 15.6% higher than Tuesday's closing price on the Italian exchange.
Edizione, which already owns a 67.08% stake in Benetton, said in a statement that it believes a delisting would provide Benetton's management with the "flexibility required in the medium to long term to implement the actions necessary to meet the challenges brought about by the changed competitive environment."
It added: "Changing consumption patterns in the markets of the Benetton Group and the pressure on margins resulting from the rising cost of raw materials require a strategy to strengthen the business model on which the history and success of Benetton Group is based.
Earlier this week Benetton issued a full-year profit warning, saying it expects net income to be down by more than 30% on the previous year at EUR70m. It blamed the decline on pressure on margins due to increasing raw material prices. Revenue is seen in-line with last year's at EUR2bn.
While cities such as Milan, Paris, New York and London have historically been seen as the global 'fashion hubs' - acting as meeting spots for high-end designers, fashion shows, luxury retail outlets a...
Italian fashion business Benetton has launched a project to inform consumers about the safety of its children's products....
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- Hanesbrands praises supply chain efficiency
- Bangladesh Accord calls on firms for more funding
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- “Made in USA” company rapped for deceptive claims
- Wal-Mart US chief resignation little surprise
- Accord still struggling to engage industry bodies
- Under Armour "bullish" in full-year guidance rise
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report