SERBIA: Benetton hub to employ 2,700 workers
Benetton's 'Nitex' clothing factory in the southern Serbian city of Nis is set to employ 2,000 workers by the end of 2013, rising to 2,700 once its renovation is fully completed the following year.
The Italian knitwear giant bought the government-owned facility last year as part of an EUR43m (US$62.5m) investment to strengthen its position in the Balkans.
Touring the factory last week, Serbia's deputy prime minister for economic and regional development, Verica Kalanovic, said four factories have been rebuilt, while others are still being constructed.
Currently, 400 workers are employed and by the end of 2014 the textile centre will have taken on 2,700 workers - contributing EUR72m to the group's annual turnover once it starts operating at full capacity.
The Italians will use the plant for knitwear and woven textile clothing production, primarily for export worldwide, with a capacity of 1m garments.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
While cities such as Milan, Paris, New York and London have historically been seen as the global 'fashion hubs' - acting as meeting spots for high-end designers, fashion shows, luxury retail outlets a...
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- Alliance brands "staying the course" in Bangladesh
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- Bangladesh denied US GSP re-entry on worker rights
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis