SERBIA: Benetton hub to employ 2,700 workers
Benetton's 'Nitex' clothing factory in the southern Serbian city of Nis is set to employ 2,000 workers by the end of 2013, rising to 2,700 once its renovation is fully completed the following year.
The Italian knitwear giant bought the government-owned facility last year as part of an EUR43m (US$62.5m) investment to strengthen its position in the Balkans.
Touring the factory last week, Serbia's deputy prime minister for economic and regional development, Verica Kalanovic, said four factories have been rebuilt, while others are still being constructed.
Currently, 400 workers are employed and by the end of 2014 the textile centre will have taken on 2,700 workers - contributing EUR72m to the group's annual turnover once it starts operating at full capacity.
The Italians will use the plant for knitwear and woven textile clothing production, primarily for export worldwide, with a capacity of 1m garments.
While cities such as Milan, Paris, New York and London have historically been seen as the global 'fashion hubs' - acting as meeting spots for high-end designers, fashion shows, luxury retail outlets a...
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- Gap impressed with supply chain improvements
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- More licensing and less M&A for Global Brands
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Cambodia garment industry hit with fresh strikes
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details