ITALY: Benetton Q1 profit cut as sales suffer
- Q1 net profit EUR10m, versus EUR19m
- Net revenues down 5.5% to EUR428m
- Downbeat on prospects for full fiscal year
Italian fashion business Benetton saw its first quarter net profit nearly halved as revenues were cut by 5.5% and margins were hit by higher raw materials costs.
However, the company was boosted by a 6.1% increase in comparable direct revenues, thanks to emerging market growth from Russia, Mexico, Korea and India.
But the rest of Latin America, China and Turkey experienced revenue decline, Benetton added.
There was growth in continental Europe and modest growth in the US, the company said, but southern Europe, including the Italian domestic market, declined.
“The first quarter of 2012 ended in line with our expectations, with an unsatisfactory result, again influenced by the high cost increases – especially for raw materials – which characterised the closing months of 2011,” said Biagio Chiarolanza, CEO for operations, foreign business units and finance.
“We know that the repositioning will not be easy and the first quarter results confirm that.
“Nonetheless, the process is under way and will continue with determination, even though, with the economic crisis affecting the principal markets for our products, a rapid recovery cannot be expected.”
Benetton said continuing pressure on revenues meant that an improvement to operating profit “will not be possible” this year, with further falls to net income possible as the costs of indebtedness increase.
Global fashion brand United Colors of Benetton is set to implement a new core body size standard and fit strategy based on an in-depth body shape analysis of its target customers....
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Supply chains under pressure as Black Friday looms
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- C&A building brand loyalty through consistent fit
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Adidas has greenest textile supply chain in China
- Global clothing and footwear trade to drop by 1.5%
- Cambodia living wage campaign kicks off
- New Balance launches first 3D printed running shoe
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Technical Textile Markets: Product Developments and Innovations - 2nd Quarter 2015