ITALY: Benetton Q1 profit cut as sales suffer
- Q1 net profit EUR10m, versus EUR19m
- Net revenues down 5.5% to EUR428m
- Downbeat on prospects for full fiscal year
Italian fashion business Benetton saw its first quarter net profit nearly halved as revenues were cut by 5.5% and margins were hit by higher raw materials costs.
However, the company was boosted by a 6.1% increase in comparable direct revenues, thanks to emerging market growth from Russia, Mexico, Korea and India.
But the rest of Latin America, China and Turkey experienced revenue decline, Benetton added.
There was growth in continental Europe and modest growth in the US, the company said, but southern Europe, including the Italian domestic market, declined.
“The first quarter of 2012 ended in line with our expectations, with an unsatisfactory result, again influenced by the high cost increases – especially for raw materials – which characterised the closing months of 2011,” said Biagio Chiarolanza, CEO for operations, foreign business units and finance.
“We know that the repositioning will not be easy and the first quarter results confirm that.
“Nonetheless, the process is under way and will continue with determination, even though, with the economic crisis affecting the principal markets for our products, a rapid recovery cannot be expected.”
Benetton said continuing pressure on revenues meant that an improvement to operating profit “will not be possible” this year, with further falls to net income possible as the costs of indebtedness increase.
Global fashion brand United Colors of Benetton is set to implement a new core body size standard and fit strategy based on an in-depth body shape analysis of its target customers....
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- US apparel retailers' August 2014 sales roundup
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Apparel fuels global manufacturing downturn
- VF taps Nike exec to lead innovation centres
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details