ITALY: Benetton Q1 profit cut as sales suffer
- Q1 net profit EUR10m, versus EUR19m
- Net revenues down 5.5% to EUR428m
- Downbeat on prospects for full fiscal year
Italian fashion business Benetton saw its first quarter net profit nearly halved as revenues were cut by 5.5% and margins were hit by higher raw materials costs.
However, the company was boosted by a 6.1% increase in comparable direct revenues, thanks to emerging market growth from Russia, Mexico, Korea and India.
But the rest of Latin America, China and Turkey experienced revenue decline, Benetton added.
There was growth in continental Europe and modest growth in the US, the company said, but southern Europe, including the Italian domestic market, declined.
“The first quarter of 2012 ended in line with our expectations, with an unsatisfactory result, again influenced by the high cost increases – especially for raw materials – which characterised the closing months of 2011,” said Biagio Chiarolanza, CEO for operations, foreign business units and finance.
“We know that the repositioning will not be easy and the first quarter results confirm that.
“Nonetheless, the process is under way and will continue with determination, even though, with the economic crisis affecting the principal markets for our products, a rapid recovery cannot be expected.”
Benetton said continuing pressure on revenues meant that an improvement to operating profit “will not be possible” this year, with further falls to net income possible as the costs of indebtedness increase.
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Sports and Fitness Clothing in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Sports Apparel, and Fitness Clothing. The report provides separate comprehe...
Global fashion brand United Colors of Benetton is set to implement a new core body size standard and fit strategy based on an in-depth body shape analysis of its target customers....
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Children's Wear in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Boys Wear, Girls Wear, and Infants & Toddlers Wear. The report provides separate compre...
- Garment firms set sights on Vietnam amid TPP talks
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- Changes in China cotton policies cause uncertainty
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- Wage strike by Cambodia garment workers falls flat
- H&M still committed to higher wages and Bangladesh
- Vietnam Q1 textile and garment exports surge 21.9%
- Alliance inspections more than 50% complete
- Gap to grow China sales to $1bn in three years
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects
- Jeans in Italy