ITALY: Benetton Q1 Profit Up 30% To EUR25m
Italian fashion giant Benetton Group SpA on Monday posted a 29 per cent year-on-year jump in first quarter net profit to 25 million euros ($29m) driven by the sale of its loss-making sports units and improved cost-cutting.
The company said consolidated sales slipped to 444 million euros from 447 million euros with sales at its apparel division up almost four per cent to 351 million euros - excluding changes in exchange rates.
Group operating income fell 4.2 per cent to 192 million euros while operating income from the clothing unit rose four per cent to 52 million euros. The firm said its debt fell to 709 million euros from 756 million euros at the end of March 2002.
Chairman Luciano Benetton said the group is in line to meet its 2003 outlook and would maintain a policy of paying out about half of its net profit in dividends this year.
He added: "The Benetton Group decided to make a break with the past in 2002 by ending its experience in the sports equipment business, whose results over the years had failed to provide the same level of satisfaction as the fashion sector.
"With regard to the core business of clothing, our system confirms its ability to be competitive and generate value: although net income for 2002 was affected by extraordinary items deriving mostly from the sale of the sports sector, this did not harm shareholders' returns.
"It is superfluous to dwell on the international crisis and the gloomy outlook for markets and consumption. I have always said that it is during times of greatest difficulty that those who are most prepared are able to grasp the best opportunities."
Companies: Benetton Group SpA
Although Ukraine has the potential to be the top East European clothing supplier to Western Europe, the industry's growth is hampered by a lack of foreign investment. But this could be about to change...
Italian fashion company Benetton has acquired the Dos Munecos textiles plant in Trelew, south Argentina....
Benetton is putting its stamp on its Indian business after buying out the half-share owned by Indian partner DCM....
Fashion company Benetton Group SpA, which last week confirmed lower first-quarter profit, says it will spend over €200 million on expanding the group this year....
Fashion group Benetton has confirmed a net profit decrease for the first quarter of 2005....
Italian fashion giant Benetton Group has signed an exclusive international deal with toy company Mattel for a range of Barbie-branded clothing called Barbie loves Benetton....
Founder of fashion company Benetton Group SpA, Luciano Benetton, says his son Alessandro Benetton will be named vice-chairman of the company at 16 May's shareholders' meeting....
Fashion chain operator Benetton Group has signed a deal with holidng company Boyner Group for a joint manufacturing and development venture in Turkey called Benetton Giyim Sanayi....
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- US Q3 in brief - Rocky Brands, Gymboree Corp
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Primark sourcing chief Gordon steps down
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020