BANGLADESH: Benetton supplier omission "violates" Accord terms
Benetton signed the Accord last year
Italian fashion company Benetton has been accused of violating the terms of the Bangladesh Accord by not disclosing the names of suppliers in the country.
The accusations follow an investigation by Italy’s Presa Diretta in collaboration with Campagna Abiti Puliti (Clean Clothes Campaign Italy), which campaigners claim shows that Benetton has violated the terms of the Accord, signed in May last year following the Rana Plaza disaster.
Under the terms of the Accord, signatory companies are required to fully disclose all supplier factories in Bangladesh, but CCC says the investigation found “at least two” Benetton suppliers not on the list of factories to be inspected by the Accord team.
Campaigners also claim that Benetton has not yet signed up to the Arrangement – the system for paying compensation to the injured and bereaved following Rana Plaza.
Now CCC has demanded that Benetton make an immediate public donation of US$5m to the Rana Plaza Donors Trust Fund.
“The Clean Clothes Campaign has full confidence that the Accord will add these suppliers to the list for inspection, but it is clear that Benetton is still not taking responsibility for the rights of the workers making their clothes,” said Deborah Luccetti of Campagna Abiti Puliti.
More than 180 companies have now signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Dhaka, which killed more than 1,100 people las...
Benetton Group SpA is currently focusing on investing in marketing efforts within Italy, aligning its image and advertising with various social causes. This means that the company’s communication focu...
Apparel Retail in Italy industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also contains desc...
Apparel & Non-Apparel Manufacturing in Belgium industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The pro...
Apparel & Non-Apparel Manufacturing in Italy industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profi...
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Outdoor industry's future must be more inclusive
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Who has signed the Bangladesh safety accord?
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- H&M and The North Face commit to responsible down
- Bangladesh taps factory inspectors ahead of review
- Coats to open new zip factory in Bangladesh
- Cambodia clothing factory collapse injures eight
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam