BANGLADESH: Benetton supplier omission "violates" Accord terms
Benetton signed the Accord last year
Italian fashion company Benetton has been accused of violating the terms of the Bangladesh Accord by not disclosing the names of suppliers in the country.
The accusations follow an investigation by Italy’s Presa Diretta in collaboration with Campagna Abiti Puliti (Clean Clothes Campaign Italy), which campaigners claim shows that Benetton has violated the terms of the Accord, signed in May last year following the Rana Plaza disaster.
Under the terms of the Accord, signatory companies are required to fully disclose all supplier factories in Bangladesh, but CCC says the investigation found “at least two” Benetton suppliers not on the list of factories to be inspected by the Accord team.
Campaigners also claim that Benetton has not yet signed up to the Arrangement – the system for paying compensation to the injured and bereaved following Rana Plaza.
Now CCC has demanded that Benetton make an immediate public donation of US$5m to the Rana Plaza Donors Trust Fund.
“The Clean Clothes Campaign has full confidence that the Accord will add these suppliers to the list for inspection, but it is clear that Benetton is still not taking responsibility for the rights of the workers making their clothes,” said Deborah Luccetti of Campagna Abiti Puliti.
Benetton Group SpA is currently focusing on investing in marketing efforts within Italy, aligning its image and advertising with various social causes. This means that the company’s communication focu...
Apparel Retail in Italy industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also contains desc...
More than 170 companies have now signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Dhaka, which killed more than 1,100 people las...
Apparel & Non-Apparel Manufacturing in Belgium industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The pro...
Apparel & Non-Apparel Manufacturing in Italy industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profi...
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- Gap impressed with supply chain improvements
- Cambodia's future outsourcing prospects uncertain
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- Hazardous chemical removal a key industry issue
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Cambodia garment industry hit with fresh strikes
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Russia threatens ban on western apparel imports
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Opportunities and Applications for Digital Textile Printing
- Colombia - ISA Country Report