US: Berkshire Hathaway completes acquisition of Russell Corp
Under the terms of the deal, Berkshire Hathaway has paid US$18 a share for the apparel and sporting goods maker, in a transaction valued at $597m. However, it will also assume an estimated $400m-500m in debts.
The sale should put Russell Corp in a stronger financial position and help improve its competitiveness in the apparel, sports equipment and athletic shoes sectors.
Russell Corp, which makes the Jerzees, Spalding and Russell Athletic sportswear brands, embarked on a restructuring and cost-cutting exercise in January that saw the loss of around 2,300 jobs, mainly in the US.
The acquisition will also expand Berkshire Hathaway's apparel holdings, which includes the Fruit of the Loom, Garan and Fechheimer brands.
As reported on just-style.com yesterday, Russell's chairman and CEO John F Ward is to step down after more than eight years.
Apparel exports to the US from Egyptian qualified industrial zones are soaring, manufacturing investments are on the up, and retailers and importers are putting more business into the country. Jozef D...
VF Corp has added another trophy to its outdoor mantel. The Greensboro, North Carolina-based jeans and sportswear maker said Monday (29 January) that it had completed its acquisition of adventure trav...
Apparel maker VF Corp is to sell its intimate apparel business for US$350m to Berkshire Hathaway unit Fruit of the Loom as part of its strategy to streamline its operations....
Outdoor goods chain Blacks Leisure has issued its third profit warning in six months after sales plunged during the Christmas period....
John Zawacki, president and chief executive officer of direct marketer Blair Corp, will retire from the company and its board on 1 April 2007....
Blacks Leisure's CEO is staying quiet on rumours the struggling business could be the bid interest of business mogul Mike Ashley, the man behind the Sports World International and Lillywhites names....
Sports goods firm Russell Athletic has appointed Doug Kelly as company president....
US: Former Fruit of the Loom executive facing fraud charges...
- New American Apparel CEO sees solid platform
- Outlook 2015: What's happening with sourcing?
- George at Asda on responsible retail journey
- Outlook 2015: Challenges and opportunities
- Philippines garment sector upbeat over EU GSP+
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- Tommy Hilfiger digital showroom to reduce samples
- Fashion brands facing strong dollar “headwind”
- Adidas sells Rockport for $280m to focus on sports
- Adidas and Timberland commit to responsible down
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead