TAIWAN: Bets on functional knit fabrics for growth
Functional knit fabrics bucked the trend in 2013 as Taiwan's exports of textile and apparel products declined 1% by value to end at US$11.7bn.
"Overseas sales of Taiwan-made functional knit fabrics increased 8.8% in 2013. We think it will continue to rise in 2014 along with the popularity of outdoor wear and sportswear," said Chen Hong Yi, a manager at the Taiwan Textile Federation (TTF).
Eyeing economic recovery in major western markets such as the US and Japan, Chen added: "We think the export of textile and apparel products in 2014 could actually increase 2% from 2013 to US$11.9bn."
Unlike neighbouring China, where clothing is the major textile export product, Taiwanese companies are known for high-tech fabrics, a specialisation that is its key advantage in the global market, Chen said.
"Taiwan companies in recent years have moved their focus to developing functional and eco-friendly fabrics. Taiwan is one of the world's major suppliers for functional fabrics," Chen said.
The Taiwan government is set to help local companies get more business. For example, 12 selected local companies will be assisted by its Bureau of Foreign Trade in 2014 to get training from the TTF for international marketing. The aid per company is up to NTD1.3m (USD43,300), according to the TTF.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- Sir Philip Green blamed for the collapse of BHS
- Brexit blow to global apparel industry confidence
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Why Inditex is "clear winner" in fast fashion
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Vietnam mulls wage freeze to boost competitiveness
- US Q2 in brief - Carter's, Wolverine Worldwide
- Teijin launches polyester hook-and-loop fastener
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Southeast Asia & Central America strategic sourcing reviews package deal
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis