INDIA: Bharti Retail appoints Wal-Mart exec Jain as CEO
Bharti Retail has appointed the former head of Wal-Mart India, Raj Jain, as its CEO.
Jain has taken up the role with immediate effect, reporting to Rajan Bharti Mittal, vice chairman and managing director of parent company Bharti Enterprises.
The retailer has also appointed Pankaj Madan as CFO. The executive was suspended from Bharti Wal-Mart in 2012 in the wake of investigations of corruption allegations by Wal-Mart.
Bharti Enterprises and Wal-Mart parted ways to in October last year to operate retail stores independently in India, ending speculation over the future of their six-year partnership.
Commenting on the appointments, Mittal said: "Bharti is committed to building a world-class retail venture and we are delighted to have Raj and Pankaj on board. I am confident that their rich experience and insights into the retail business will add immense value to company's growth plans. I wish them the very best in their new roles and look forward to working with them."
Prior to this appointment, Jain was an advisor to Bharti Enterprises and also held the position of managing director and CEO of Bharti Wal-Mart for over six years.
Bharti Retail currently operates 212 stores in neighbourhood and compact hypermarket formats.
Wal-Mart Brazil: Consumer Profile is the result of Canadean’s extensive online consumer survey Wal-Mart in Brazil, presenting uniquely detailed data on Wal-Mart’s end-consumers. It provides retailer p...
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (WMT) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by...
In 2008, the US-based multinational company Wal-Mart Stores acquired the Chilean hypermarket, supermarket and retail company D&S, which already owned more than 250 stores across the country. Every yea...
Thousands of workers at Taiwanese-owned Yue Yuen shoe factories in Dongguan, which supplies Adidas and Nike, have continued to strike for a second time over social security payments....
Wal-Mart de México SAB de CV is the leading and most influential chained grocery retailer in Mexico. The company’s strategy is based on offering a wide range of products at affordable prices. Conseque...
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- Bangladesh industry development moving backwards
- Mexico's shoe makers blame their woes on China
- Adidas China supplier in discussions over strike
- Bangladesh PM asks clothing buyers to pay more
- Jones CEO to depart as Sycamore splits business
- Gap issues mirror widespread industry challenges
- Workers strike at Adidas supplier shoe factory
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Jeans in Italy
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects