INDIA: Bharti Retail appoints Wal-Mart exec Jain as CEO
Bharti Retail has appointed the former head of Wal-Mart India, Raj Jain, as its CEO.
Jain has taken up the role with immediate effect, reporting to Rajan Bharti Mittal, vice chairman and managing director of parent company Bharti Enterprises.
The retailer has also appointed Pankaj Madan as CFO. The executive was suspended from Bharti Wal-Mart in 2012 in the wake of investigations of corruption allegations by Wal-Mart.
Bharti Enterprises and Wal-Mart parted ways to in October last year to operate retail stores independently in India, ending speculation over the future of their six-year partnership.
Commenting on the appointments, Mittal said: "Bharti is committed to building a world-class retail venture and we are delighted to have Raj and Pankaj on board. I am confident that their rich experience and insights into the retail business will add immense value to company's growth plans. I wish them the very best in their new roles and look forward to working with them."
Prior to this appointment, Jain was an advisor to Bharti Enterprises and also held the position of managing director and CEO of Bharti Wal-Mart for over six years.
Bharti Retail currently operates 212 stores in neighbourhood and compact hypermarket formats.
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity unde...
Food and drink internet retailing posted outstanding growth in 2012 and 2013. Working females in urban centres with a busy lifestyle find it convenient and time saving to purchase groceries online. It...
In 2013, mixed retailers registered current value sales growth of 9%, with department stores remaining the key format. The economic slowdown in China negatively impacted mixed retailers. Compared to m...
Canadean's "Delta Galil Industries Ltd. - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major produc...
- What the EU-Vietnam trade deal means for duties
- Ultimate frontier Myanmar uplifts Bogart Lingerie
- US apparel import growth led by Bangladesh
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- Esquel backs Chinese Sea Island cotton production
- Sears looks to lift apparel via sourcing changes
- Direct sourcing helps M&S narrow the gap with Next
- Eco-friendly garment factory opens in Bangladesh
- Clothing and sports chains in activewear battle
- Nike accelerates digital strategy with new hire
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Practical Price Negotiation
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020