ITALY: Biella Fabric Manufacturers Set Sights On China
Fabric manufacturers from the Biella region of Italy - an area that specialises in the production of wool and luxury fibre based men's suiting - are targeting China as a major export outlet over the next five years. With this in mind, fifteen of Biella's leading weavers will be going across to the Intertextile trade fair due to be held in Shanghai at the end of October."At the moment China is not a big market for Italian producers, but everyone in the team from Biella recognises its enormous potential," comments Dr Carlo Addis who is the resident ICE (Italian Institute for Foreign Trade) representative in Shanghai. He adds that the timing of Intertextile just a few days after the last of the major European fabric shows - news from which now regularly filters through to Chinese garment manufacturers - makes it an ideal sales platform from which to open up new trade contacts. "Potential customers, having already absorbed news about the latest styles and colour trends from the Internet, can then come to Shanghai and see the actual fabrics for themselves almost immediately after their European launch," says Dr Addis. "They come to the show in a buying mood inspired by the topicality of the merchandise and probably already imbued with the message that if they buy Italian they are buying quality." Overall, this season's Shanghai fair will feature ranges from 470 companies from 20 nations. Particular emphasis will be placed on Italy as 'a partner country', with ICE organising a special display pavilion at the centre of the apparel fabrics section.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Investment continues in Ethiopia clothing sector
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Start-ups chosen to re-think fashion industry
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts