SWITZERLAND: Big Star Spices Up Denim Styles
"Whereas four years ago 90 per cent of all jeans sales were of the classic five pocket styles, today the proportion has fallen to under 50 per cent," said Big Star. "Consumers are demanding more imaginative detailing while manufacturers are seeking greater efficiency from their production units."
As a result Big Star's new women's wear jeans will feature a curved yoke seam which "flows" in an arch from leg front to side seam. An extra high slit has been introduced to the leg bottom and padding to the small back pocket, while a deep waist band provides comfort allied to snug fit.
In the companion male appeal range the leg opening is now slightly asymmetric and the waistline cut low. A further 2lst century adjustment is the expansion of what was formerly the watch pocket to accommodate a mobile phone. The fabric for both sexes is lightweight but industrial quality denim with a look of cross hatching built into the weave.
With an annual turnover in excess of CHF150m, Big Star now reckons its to be among the top half dozen European brands. As well as selling into all the major EU markets the brand commands strong loyalty across all the former eastern bloc nations and sells particularly well into Poland where it is currently reported to be the market leader.
By Sonia Roberts
Companies: Levi Strauss & Co
Wal-Mart is famous for its everyday low prices. The world's largest company continues to dramatically transform the retail landscape by exploring new growth avenues, selling new categories of merchand...
Casual apparel company Levi Strauss & Co said it has broken free from an eight-year sales decline, but warned it expects a "challenging" 2006. ...
Casual clothing company Levi Strauss & Co has named Hilary Krane as senior vice president and general counsel as of January 2006....
After testing new body-scanning technology in the United States, Levi Strauss is now launching the service permanently in its Japanese stores this autumn....
Levi Strauss Europe is renewing an exclusive licensing agreement with DC Company to design, produce, market and distribute a range of footwear and belts for men and women under the Levi's brand label...
Jeans maker Big Star Holding has named Marek Czupryna as director general of its Polish division, Big Star Limited....
A Mexican appeals court has reversed a ruling that jeans maker Levi Strauss & Co was guilty of misguidedly targeting an ex-contractor as part of a clampdown on counterfeiting....
Casual apparel giant Levi Strauss and Co is relaunching its Dockers brand in the Indian market with 'never-iron' 100 per cent cotton trousers....
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Ethiopia violence undermines sourcing strategies
- Marks & Spencer top for modern slavery reporting
- Bangladesh garment workers rally for higher wages
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- H&M CEO named sustainability leader
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020