AUSTRALIA: Billabong receives rival takeover approach
Australian surfwear brand Billabong has received a rival takeover approach from an unnamed party, offering A$1.45 a share.
The offer follows a similar bid from TPG Capital in July, also offering $1.45 a share, which valued the brand at $694m. At the time, Billabong said it did not believe that the deal reflected the "fundamental value" of the company.
Billabong said the new proposal, which according to Reuters, has come from Bain Capital, is subject to due diligence and is conditional on a number of other issues.
TPG has already begun its due diligence on the brand, and Billabong has also granted the unnamed party the opportunity to conduct non-exclusive due diligence to improve its understanding and valuation of the firm.
"As is the case for TPG's proposal, the board does not believe that this proposal reflects the fundamental value of Billabong in the context of a change of control transaction," Billabong said.
The company believes the interests of shareholders will be best served by a formal process to thoroughly evaluate whether an offer can be secured at a price and on terms that the board would recommend.
Billabong swung to a full-year loss last week, recording a loss of $275.6m in the year ended 30 June, against a profit of $119m the year before. The company's profits were hit by more than $330m worth of costs.
The most read stories on just-style this week include a look at how sourcing is going to be in 2013, a spotlight on why buyer interest in Billabong has not yet turned into a deal, and M&S extending it...
Australian surfwear brand Billabong has received a rival bid for the brand from VF Corp and private equity firm Altamont Capital Partners, which matches an offer from US boss Paul Naude and Sycamore P...
Australian surfwear brand Billabong has appointed Peter Myers as group chief financial officer, replacing Craig White who resigned last month....
Australian surfwear brand Billabong has opened its books to a consortium comprising the company's former head of its Americas business. ...
Australian surfwear brand Billabong today (19 December) confirmed details of a AUD524m buyout bid - but shares fell 13.3% after the company issued another profit warning....
- Expensive US dollar hitting H&M sourcing costs
- Enthusiasm for tech in outdoor apparel on rise
- 2015: Welcome to the new fashion consumer
- Apparel industry gains traction says IAF chief
- Outlook 2015: What's happening with sourcing?
- Kanati pulls production out of Pakistan
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- Gap to close Piperlime division
- Hanesbrands invests $1.5m in US hosiery plant
- US takes final step to WTO TFA implementation
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead