AUSTRALIA: Billabong rejects TPG Capital offer
Troubled Australian surfwear brand Billabong today (27 February) rejected an AUD765.3m (US$824.6m) takeover bid by private-equity firm TPG capital.
The company said that the AUD3 per share bid does not reflect the fundamental value of the company. It also said that its major shareholder, Gordon Merchant, would not accept an offer of AUD3 per share for his shares and that in "his view, the price is significantly below the underlying value of the company".
Billabong has advised TPG Capital of its position, and has had a number of discussions with the firm to give it the opportunity to increase its offer. The discussions remain ongoing, it said.
Billabong earlier this month said it would close between 100-150 under-performing shops as it booked a slump in first-half net profit. The company also announced the sale of a majority stake in Nixon in a deal that valued the accessories brand at US$464m.
Featured reports from just-style's research store this week include the prospects for India's texile and clothing industry, a look at footwear in Malaysia and SWOT analyses on Billabong and Gap Inc....
Billabong has agreed to open its books to private equity firm TPG Capital, but said it does not believe the AU$694m bid reflects the "fundamental value" of the Australian surfwear brand. ...
Billabong has received a second offer from private equity firm TPG Capital at a much lower price than previously offered for the Australian surfwear brand. ...
Sporting goods giant Nike is rumoured to be a potential buyer of Australian surfwear brand Billabong....
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Chaos in the world’s trade agreements
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- Supply chain improvements to save Billabong $30m
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- H&M scaling up living wage effort to key suppliers
- Myanmar approves first minimum wage
- US Q2 in brief: Genesco, Oxford, Sears Canada
- EU clothing buyers should brace for higher prices
- Vietnam apparel industry calls for lower wage
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global Sports Footwear Market 2015-2019