INDIA: Bombay Rayon unit to buy Leela Scottish Lace for $38m
Bombay Rayon Apparels, a unit of fabric and shirt maker Bombay Rayon Fashions Ltd, is to buy the garment business of Leela Scottish Lace for INR1.55bn (US$38m).
Leela makes and exports ready-made garments to major international retailers such as Wal-Mart, and has 18 manufacturing plants in Bangalore, Chennai, Kochi and Thruvananthapuram. The company employs 16,000 people and has an annual capacity of around 12m garments.
Bombay Rayon said the deal will help to expand its higher margin apparel business.
The company has announced a number of moves so far this year in a bid to expand its capacity and widen its international customer base in the US and Europe.
In February, Bombay Rayon bought a 70% stake in the UK's DPJ Clothing Ltd, for about GBP1.54m. And in April it opened a new unit on the Doddaballarpur Apparel Park near Bangalore with the capacity to produce 22,000 garments a day.
Bombay Rayon has production facilities in New Mumbai, Silvassa, Sonale and Bangalore, and has the capacity to make 50m metres of fabric a year and 64,000 garment pieces per day. Its customers include C&A, DKNY, Liz Claiborne, Wrangler, Federated Stores and Guess.
In the three months to 31 March, the company's net profit soared by nearly 500% to INR215.5m from INR36.0 in the same period a year earlier, while sales tripled to INR1.7bn.
The following is a general roundup of apparel and shoe chains' October 2007 sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
US retail giant Wal-Mart has completed its tender offer to acquire total control of former Japanese subsidiary Seiyu....
An overwhelming majority of US shoppers are waiting for bigger and better discounts in the run-up to Christmas before completing their festive purchases, according to a new survey....
Wal-Mart has posted an 11% jump in third-quarter profits thanks to an "improved performance" from its US business....
Australian Wool Innovation (AWI) has agreed a range of new projects with mills and garment makers in Vietnam to develop new fabrics and active sportswear using its Merino wool....
Branded apparel firm Iconix Brand Group has agreed a raft of new licences in markets from China to Europe in a bid to increase the company's exports....
The global market for organic cotton products topped US$1bn in 2006, according to the latest research....
Children's wear retailer Carter's Inc says its third quarter profit was flat with the same period last year, and is warning of a "cautious outlook" for the rest of the year....
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- US Q3 in brief - Rocky Brands, Gymboree Corp
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Primark sourcing chief Gordon steps down
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020