US: Bon-Ton Stores prepares for possible FY loss
US department store retailer The Bon-Ton Stores has said it could swing to a full-year loss after unfavourable weather weighed on December comparable store sales.
The company adjusted its guidance to range from a loss per share of $0.30 to earnings per share of $0.15, compared to its earlier view of earnings per share of $0.15-0.75. Adjusted EBITDA is forecast to be $160-170m, down from $170-190m.
President and CEO Brendan Hoffman said: "We are disappointed with the deceleration in sales during December, particularly given the strong start to the holiday season beginning with Black Friday and extending through the early part of the month.
"Adverse weather and treacherous travel conditions in the majority of our markets resulted in a sharp reduction in traffic and hampered promotional events on key weekend selling dates leading up to and continuing after Christmas."
Despite the sales shortfall, Hoffman added, Bon-Ton ended the month with lower year-on-year inventory levels.
"We believe that we are heading in the right direction with our merchandise assortment and will continue to focus on executing our long-term initiatives while managing through a difficult retail environment."
US department store retailer The Bon-Ton Stores has lowered its full-year outlook as it posted a wider net loss in its third-quarter....
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- Cost biggest barrier to Bangladesh RMG remediation
- Bad sourcing blamed for pressure on retail margins
- Trump’s China tariff a self-serving sound-bite
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- Ten key trends in apparel and footwear markets
- Bangladesh firm comes top in World Textile Awards
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Primark continues US expansion with third store
- $360m logistics investment to benefit Bangladesh
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)