CAMBODIA: Brands back new talks on worker rights violations
The IndustriAll Global Union, plus brands and retailers who also include Puma, Inditex, Debenhams and New Look, will meet government officials in Phnom Penh in a renewal of talks held in February this year.
But IndustriAll claims that, in the past few months, striking garment workers have been “forced” back to work by the military, workers have been summarily dismissed, and garment factories have issued lawsuits against union leaders.
“Despite assurances from the government in February, there have since been unprecedented levels of intimidation, violence and a declining respect for the rule of law, which together constitute a grave attack on union and worker rights,” said Jyrki Raina, Industriall general secretary, who will also represent the ITUC and the Uni Global Union at the talks.
“The concerted message from global unions and brands to the Cambodian government is clear: political stability and respect for human and worker rights are essential to maintaining sourcing in Cambodia.”
The renewal of talks comes after Cambodia was given the lowest possible ranking in the ITUC’s Global Rights Index for union rights abuses earlier this week.
Debenhams plc - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerin......
Hong Kong based manufacturing giant Crystal Group has stepped up its efforts to disclose greenhouse gas emissions by becoming one of just two unlisted companies taking part in a climate change questio...
Canadean's "Debenhams plc : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, ...
French luxury goods group Kering has booked an increase in third-quarter revenues, thanks to the multi-brand strategy it has in place....
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
The most-read stories on just-style last week included the possible sale of Adidas's Reebok brand, figures that suggest UK textile sector wages and productivity are the lowest of all the country's man...
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Tesco's H1 profit plunge: What the analysts say
- Asos FY profit drop: What the analysts say
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Cambodia clothing factory collapse injures eight
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- H&M and The North Face commit to responsible down
- Bangladesh taps factory inspectors ahead of review
- Collapsed Cambodia factory had structural issues
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre