US: Brown Shoe Co lifts outlook on Q2 profit
- Net earnings US$15.4m versus a $2.5m loss last year
- Sales rose 10.1% to $621.7m from $564.9m
- Gross margin improved 70 basis points to 41%
Footwear firm Brown Shoe Company has lifted its full year earnings guidance after it returned to profit during the second quarter, helped by higher sales and margins.
The company, which operates 1,300 stores, today (27 August) said sales at Famous Footwear increased 10.8% to $388.2m and same-store-sales rose 6.8%.
Wholesale revenue grew 12.4% to $180.5m, with sales at Healthy Living and Contemporary Fashion up 14.4% and 10.2% respectively.
President and CEO Diane Sullivan said the sales increase was helped by a shift in sales to the second quarter from the third quarter.
"Both retail and wholesale contributed to this quarter's success, with Famous delivering record second quarter sales and operating profit and both of our wholesale platforms - Healthy Living and Contemporary Fashion - reporting double-digit increases in sales," Sullivan noted.
The company now expects full year adjusted earnings per share to $1.27-1.32, up from its earlier guidance of $1.22-1.29.
"For the back half of the year, we are maintaining a realistic but cautious stance, as we continue to monitor the macro retail environment," CFO Russ Hammer said.
Brown Shoe Company president and chief executive officer Diane Sullivan has added the role of chairman to her title following the departure of Ron Fromm....
Brown Shoe Company, Inc. - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, ...
Brown Shoe Company today (26 November) raised its full-year earnings guidance after reporting a 12.4% jump in third-quarter profit....
Brown Shoe Company, Inc. (BWS) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled...
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- Bangladesh industry development moving backwards
- PSF 2014: Ten sustainability takeaways
- Adidas China supplier in discussions over strike
- Gap issues mirror widespread industry challenges
- Bangladesh PM asks clothing buyers to pay more
- Jones CEO to depart as Sycamore splits business
- Workers strike at Adidas supplier shoe factory
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Jeans in Italy
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects