USA: Brown Shoe Q2 Earnings Drop 32%
Retailer Brown Shoe Co Inc on Wednesday posted a 32 per cent drop in quarterly earnings, hurt by weaker results from its children's unit and its Bass wholesale business.
St. Louis-based Brown Shoe said it earned $7.8 million, or 41 cents a share, for second quarter ended 31 July, down from $11.6 million, or 62 cents a share, a year earlier.
Consolidated net sales for the second quarter were $458.65m versus $458.38m in last year's second quarter.
For the first half of fiscal 2004, net earnings were $16.38m, down from $20.55m the year before.
Brown Shoe, which operates the Famous Footwear and Naturalizer chains, said sales increased 5.0 per cent during the six months to $950.48m from $904.82m last year.
Chairman and CEO Ron Fromm said: "Factors that negatively impacted the quarter included weakness within our children's and Bass wholesale segments; Bass transition costs - which are now complete; and weakness in our Naturalizer Retail segment.
"Limited availability of common carrier trucks at the close of our second quarter impacted shipping and further caused us to fall short of our expectations.
"On a positive note, Famous Footwear achieved its earnings plan for the quarter, but slightly lagged last year due to a calendar shift in tax-free days and a later start to back-to-school," Fromm said.
Companies: Brown Shoe Company
Global footwear firm Brown Shoe Company has signed a multi-property licensing agreement with children's entertainment brand Nickelodeon....
Footwear firm Brown Shoe boosted fourth-quarter net profit as wholesale improvements and sales at Famous Footwear stores offset charges connected to store closures and repatriating foreign earnings. F...
Brown Shoe Company has signed an order to equip all of its stores with NCR point-of-sale (POS) systems running on point of service software....
Footwear retailer Brown Shoe has reported a 7 per cent third-quarter profit rise, driven by good sales at the Famous Footwear chain....
Footwear company Brown Shoe Company has appointed David Krueger to the position of senior vice president - corporate real estate....
Worldwide footwear company Brown Shoe Co Inc has suffered a 47 per cent slump in second-quarter profit, affected by expenses related to store closures and inventory write-off....
Bum Equipment & SOS Management has announced the signing of Buffalo Group as the exclusive licensee for men's and ladies' sportswear in the US, starting with a spring 2006 collection....
Footwear group Brown Shoe Company Inc has revealed a strategy to further boost its Naturalizer brand which includes the closure of 80 underperforming stores in the US and Canada....
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- US Q3 in brief - Rocky Brands, Gymboree Corp
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Primark sourcing chief Gordon steps down
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020