US: Brown Shoe Q4 profit rises on higher sales
- Q4 profit jumps 55% to $6.2m
- Sales increase 3% to $600m
- Gross margin improves 20 basis points to 40.2%
US footwear firm Brown Shoe Co has booked a 55% hike in fourth-quarter net profit, thanks to higher sales and improved margins.
Famous Footwear sales were down 8.6% year-on-year to $347.4m with same store sales slipping 1.8%. The company said performance was impacted by severe winter weather, which hurt running shoe sales while helping to drive boot sales.
Wholesale revenues, meanwhile, grew 13.5% to $196.3m. For the Healthy Living platform, wholesale sales were up 4.3%, led by a double-digit improvement in Naturalizer. The group's Contemporary Fashion wholesale sales rose 28.2% with increases from key brands Sam Edelman and Franco Sarto.
"Brown Shoe Co delivered a successful fourth quarter and 2013," said CEO, president and chairman Diane Sullivan.
For the full year, net earnings soared 38.5% to $38.1m from $27.5m, while sales reached $2.51bn, up 1.4% over $2.48bn in the prior year period.
"We are looking forward to continuing to execute against our strategies to deliver increasing shareholder value, as we grow our retail and wholesale businesses in 2014," Sullivan added.
The company expects 2014 earnings per share of $1.45 to $1.55, representing a 3-10% rise over the prior year and net sales to be between $2.58bn and $2.60bn.
Footwear retailer Brown Shoe saw its earnings soar in the fourth quarter thanks to a divestment, but cautioned on the potential for product delays in the first half....
Introduction Footwear in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). ......
Global trade management (GTM) software provider Amber Road is adding to its capabilities with the $33m acquisition of Hong Kong based ecVision, which specialises in global sourcing and collaborative s...
Introduction Footwear in Canada industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also cont...
Footwear retailer Brown Shoe has appointed JC Penney CFO, Kenneth Hannah, as its finance chief....
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Footwear in US$ Million and Million Pairs by the following Product Categories/Segments: Athletic...
Brown Shoe-owned Famous Footwear has deployed Quantum Retail's Q Allocation and Replenishment solution to help optimise inventory....
- The difference between compliance and safety?
- How M&S plans to revamp its clothing business
- Central America must make better use of DR-CAFTA
- Yarn-forward rules weigh on Vietnam TPP potential
- Is China really going through a slump?
- US Q1 in brief – Guess, Burlington Stores, Sears
- Gap accused of rights violations in supply chain
- BHS supplier Courtaulds Brands in administration
- Nike management changes to drive innovation
- H&M, Inditex and Nike rated supply chain leaders
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Victoria's Secret Stores, Inc.: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Apparel Accessories in Hong Kong, China
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)
- Practical Price Negotiation for Apparel Sourcing Professionals