US: Brown Shoe Q4 profit rises on higher sales
- Q4 profit jumps 55% to $6.2m
- Sales increase 3% to $600m
- Gross margin improves 20 basis points to 40.2%
US footwear firm Brown Shoe Co has booked a 55% hike in fourth-quarter net profit, thanks to higher sales and improved margins.
Famous Footwear sales were down 8.6% year-on-year to $347.4m with same store sales slipping 1.8%. The company said performance was impacted by severe winter weather, which hurt running shoe sales while helping to drive boot sales.
Wholesale revenues, meanwhile, grew 13.5% to $196.3m. For the Healthy Living platform, wholesale sales were up 4.3%, led by a double-digit improvement in Naturalizer. The group's Contemporary Fashion wholesale sales rose 28.2% with increases from key brands Sam Edelman and Franco Sarto.
"Brown Shoe Co delivered a successful fourth quarter and 2013," said CEO, president and chairman Diane Sullivan.
For the full year, net earnings soared 38.5% to $38.1m from $27.5m, while sales reached $2.51bn, up 1.4% over $2.48bn in the prior year period.
"We are looking forward to continuing to execute against our strategies to deliver increasing shareholder value, as we grow our retail and wholesale businesses in 2014," Sullivan added.
The company expects 2014 earnings per share of $1.45 to $1.55, representing a 3-10% rise over the prior year and net sales to be between $2.58bn and $2.60bn.
Footwear retailer Brown Shoe has appointed JC Penney CFO, Kenneth Hannah, as its finance chief....
Brown Shoe Company, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service...
Brown Shoe Company, Inc. (BWS) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled...
Brown Shoe-owned Famous Footwear has deployed Quantum Retail's Q Allocation and Replenishment solution to help optimise inventory....
Introduction Footwear in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). ......
Introduction Footwear in Canada industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also cont...
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- UK reshoring hub hit by sweatshop claims
- New fibre and fabric innovations for outdoor wear
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- 30% of Adidas cotton from sustainable sources
- US West Coast port contract reached
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- Benetton to embark on living wage roadmap
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide