US: Brown Shoe Q4 profit rises on higher sales
- Q4 profit jumps 55% to $6.2m
- Sales increase 3% to $600m
- Gross margin improves 20 basis points to 40.2%
US footwear firm Brown Shoe Co has booked a 55% hike in fourth-quarter net profit, thanks to higher sales and improved margins.
Famous Footwear sales were down 8.6% year-on-year to $347.4m with same store sales slipping 1.8%. The company said performance was impacted by severe winter weather, which hurt running shoe sales while helping to drive boot sales.
Wholesale revenues, meanwhile, grew 13.5% to $196.3m. For the Healthy Living platform, wholesale sales were up 4.3%, led by a double-digit improvement in Naturalizer. The group's Contemporary Fashion wholesale sales rose 28.2% with increases from key brands Sam Edelman and Franco Sarto.
"Brown Shoe Co delivered a successful fourth quarter and 2013," said CEO, president and chairman Diane Sullivan.
For the full year, net earnings soared 38.5% to $38.1m from $27.5m, while sales reached $2.51bn, up 1.4% over $2.48bn in the prior year period.
"We are looking forward to continuing to execute against our strategies to deliver increasing shareholder value, as we grow our retail and wholesale businesses in 2014," Sullivan added.
The company expects 2014 earnings per share of $1.45 to $1.55, representing a 3-10% rise over the prior year and net sales to be between $2.58bn and $2.60bn.
Footwear business Brown Shoe Company is continuing to benefit from efforts to realign its portfolio as it revealed growth in earnings and sales in its second-quarter....
Brown Shoe Company, Inc. - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, ...
Introduction Footwear in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). ......
Introduction Footwear in Canada industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also cont...
- New wage ladder lifts workers towards living wages
- US retailers to face logistics issues into 2015
- African apparel sector needs cooperation to thrive
- New scenarios driving sustainability in textiles
- UK fashion sector prospects depend on partnerships
- Bangladesh worker dies as factory boiler ruptures
- Eight footwear factories lead on social compliance
- Global unions join forces on apparel wage poverty
- US firms eye Vietnam footwear growth ahead of TPP
- Low cotton prices lead to government intervention